Vegetable and Black Eyed Pea Soup
with baked brie and rice crackers
The slow cooker is a great tool to cook dried beans because it gives them a creamy texture in this vegetable soup. Since this recipe is going live just before the New Year, we recommend black eyed peas (for a bit of luck!), but any dried beans will work. Smarts: If not making this with the slow cooker, use canned beans to reduce cook time.
Vegetable and Black Eyed Pea Soup:
- Carrots - 1/2 lb , peeled and sliced into rounds
- Onions, small - 1 , diced
- Celery - 2 ribs , diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves , diced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 2 tsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 tsp
- Black eyed peas, dried (note: use dried only if making with a slow cooker; if making on the stovetop, buy 1 can of beans for 4 servings) - 8 oz
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Stock, chicken or vegetable - 6 cups
Baked Brie with Rice Crackers:
- Brie - 6 oz
- Fruit jam, any variety - 3 Tbsp
- Crackers, rice or any other gluten-free variety - 20
- Carrots / Onions / Celery / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- If making in slow cooker: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and when it begins to shimmer, add carrots, onions, celery and garlic. Saute until onions are soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add Italian seasonings, tomato paste and vinegar and saute until veggies are coated, ~1 minute. Transfer to the bowl of a slow cooker and add beans, thyme and stock. If ingredients are not covered by liquid, add additional stock or water to cover. Cook until beans are tender, 3 to 4 hours on high or 6 to 8 hours on low. (Note: cook time will vary based on the age of the beans.)
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- If making on stovetop: Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and when it begins to shimmer, add carrots, onions, celery and garlic. Saute until onions are soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add Italian seasonings, tomato paste and vinegar and saute until veggies are coated, ~1 minute. Add beans, thyme and stock. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to come together.
- Place brie in a baking dish and bake just until it is warmed through and beginning to melt around the edges, ~5 minutes. Remove from the oven and spoon jam over the top.
- Season soup with salt, pepper and a bit more vinegar if needed.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Serve with warm brie and crackers on the side. Enjoy!