Vegetable and Black Eyed Pea Soup
with baked brie and rice crackers
The slow cooker is a great tool to cook dried beans because it gives them a creamy texture in this vegetable soup. Since this recipe is going live just before the New Year, we recommend black eyed peas (for a bit of luck!), but any dried beans will work. Smarts: If not making this with the slow cooker, use canned beans to reduce cook time.
Vegetable and Black Eyed Pea Soup:
- Carrots - 1/2 lb , peeled and sliced into rounds
- Onions, small - 1 , diced
- Celery - 2 ribs , diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves , diced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 2 tsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 tsp
- Black eyed peas, dried (note: use dried only if making with a slow cooker; if making on the stovetop, buy 1 can of beans for 4 servings) - 8 oz
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Stock, chicken or vegetable - 6 cups
Baked Brie with Rice Crackers:
- Brie - 6 oz
- Fruit jam, any variety - 3 Tbsp
- Crackers, rice or any other gluten-free variety - 20
- Carrots / Onions / Celery / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- If making in slow cooker: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and when it begins to shimmer, add carrots, onions, celery and garlic. Saute until onions are soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add Italian seasonings, tomato paste and vinegar and saute until veggies are coated, ~1 minute. Transfer to the bowl of a slow cooker and add beans, thyme and stock. If ingredients are not covered by liquid, add additional stock or water to cover. Cook until beans are tender, 3 to 4 hours on high or 6 to 8 hours on low. (Note: cook time will vary based on the age of the beans.)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 400F / 204C.
- If making on stovetop: Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and when it begins to shimmer, add carrots, onions, celery and garlic. Saute until onions are soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add Italian seasonings, tomato paste and vinegar and saute until veggies are coated, ~1 minute. Add beans, thyme and stock. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to come together.
- Place brie in a baking dish and bake just until it is warmed through and beginning to melt around the edges, ~5 minutes. Remove from the oven and spoon jam over the top.
- Season soup with salt, pepper and a bit more vinegar if needed.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Serve with warm brie and crackers on the side. Enjoy!