Vegetable Tortellini Soup
with black eyed peas
- Carrots - 1/2 lb, peeled and sliced into rounds
- Onions, small - 1, diced
- Celery - 2 ribs, diced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, diced
- Cheese, parmesan - 3 oz, grated, rind reserved
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Italian seasoning - 2 tsp
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, apple cider - 2 tsp
- Black eyed peas, dried (note: use dried only if making with a slow cooker; if making on the stovetop, buy 1 can of beans for 4 servings) - 8 oz
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Stock, chicken or vegetable - 6 cups
- Tortellini, fresh or frozen - 8 oz
- Carrots / Onions / Celery / Garlic - Prep as directed and combine. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Cheese - Grate and reserve rind. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- If making in slow cooker: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and when it begins to shimmer, add carrots, onions, celery and garlic. Saute until onions are soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add Italian seasonings, tomato paste and vinegar and saute until veggies are coated, ~1 minute. Transfer to the bowl of a slow cooker and add beans, thyme, stock and parmesan rind. If ingredients are not covered by liquid, add additional stock or water to cover. Cook until beans are tender, 3 to 4 hours on high or 6 to 8 hours on low. (Note: cook time will vary based on the age of the beans.)
- If making on stovetop: Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil and when it begins to shimmer, add carrots, onions, celery and garlic. Saute until onions are soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add Italian seasonings, tomato paste and vinegar and saute until veggies are coated, ~1 minute. Add beans, thyme, stock and parmesan rind. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to come together.
- To the soup add tortellini. (If using a slow cooker, make sure the heat is on high at this point). Simmer until tortellini is tender, 12 to 20 minutes, depending on if you are using fresh or frozen.
- Season soup with salt, pepper and a bit more vinegar if needed.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with grated parmesan cheese.
So hearty & delicious. For leftovers, added smoked sausage and a touch of hot sauce, yum! Added more seasonings to our taste. Made the stove top version.0 Helpful
Was so good I ate too much and made my stomach hurt! I didn't include the parmesan rind, no fresh thyme, and I didn't peel the carrots. Wife and I liked it with sour cream.0 Helpful
I doubled the beans and puréed them to create more of a stew. It is easier for my 2 year old to eat.0 Helpful
I put in gluten free tortellini about 30 minutes before serving from the crockpot. It was delicious.0 Helpful
My husband liked this more than i did, he gave me permission to make it again whenever i want0 Helpful
I subbed cannelini beans, and then garnished with a splash of olive oil. Delicious!0 Helpful