Linguini with Tomato Caper Sauce
and spinach salad
We love the tart, savory notes of this tomato sauce that uses classic Italian ingredients like capers and tomatoes. Make it with or without red pepper flakes for spice and serve it over linguini with a green salad on the side.
Linguini with Tomato Caper Sauce:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Cheese, parmesan - 3 oz , grated
- Capers - 1 Tbsp , rinsed and drained
- Beans, butter (14 oz / 397 g can - sub other white beans) - 1 can
- Pasta, linguini or spaghetti - 8 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Tomato paste - 2 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Wine, white (sub vegetable stock or water) - 1/2 cup
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Sugar, white - 1/2 tsp
Spinach Salad with Italian Vinaigrette:
- Shallots - 1/2 clove , diced
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Spinach, baby - 4 oz
- Garlic / Shallots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cheese / Capers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Beans - Drain and rinse.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy.
- While pasta boils, heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add oil and when it begins to shimmer add garlic and thyme sprigs. Saute until fragrant, ~1 minute. Add tomato paste, canned tomatoes (including juice), capers, wine, red pepper flakes, sugar, and beans and stir to combine. Increase heat if needed to bring sauce to a simmer. Simmer, stirring frequently, until thick, ~6 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper or a pinch of additional sugar.
- While sauce simmers, whisk together shallots, oil, vinegar and Italian seasonings. Toss with spinach.
- Serve pasta with sauce and cheese on top. Enjoy with salad on the side!