Fish in Crazy Water
with linguini and spinach salad
This Italian recipe gets its unique name from the "crazy" flavorful sauce that cooks down and poaches white fish in a single pan. We serve it over pasta with a simple green salad on the side.
Fish in Crazy Water:
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Fish (any mild fish, like tilapia or cod) - 4 fillets
- Pasta, linguini or spaghetti - 8 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Thyme, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Tomato paste - 1 Tbsp
- Tomatoes, diced and preferably fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Water - 2/3 cup
- Wine, white (sub vegetable stock or water) - 1/2 cup
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
Spinach Salad with Italian Vinaigrette:
- Shallots - 1/2 clove , diced
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Italian seasoning - 1/2 tsp
- Spinach, baby - 4 oz
- Garlic / Shallots - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Fish - Rinse and pat dry and season with salt and pepper.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy.
- Heat a dutch oven or skillet (large enough to hold all of the fish without overlapping) over medium heat. Add oil and when it begins to shimmer add garlic and thyme sprigs. Saute until fragrant, ~1 minute. Add tomato paste, canned tomatoes (including juice), water, wine and red pepper flakes and stir to combine. Increase heat if needed to bring sauce to a simmer. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Add fish to pan and spoon sauce over the top of each filet (don’t worry if the fish isn’t completely submerged in sauce). Simmer fish, flipping halfway through, until fish flakes easily, ~4 minutes on each side (more or less depending on thickness of fish).
- While fish poaches, whisk together shallots, oil, vinegar and Italian seasonings. Toss with spinach.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over fish.
- Serve fish over pasta and enjoy with salad on the side!