Curried Butternut Squash Soup
with spinach salad / apples / pomegranate seeds
Curried Butternut Squash Soup:
- Squash, butternut, large - 1 , peeled and cubed
- Onions, small - 1 , chopped
- Ginger, fresh (opt) - 2 tsp , grated
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Curry powder, mild yellow (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, any type - 4 cups
- Sugar, brown - 1 tsp
- Sour cream (sub plain yogurt), for serving - 1/4 cup
Spinach Salad with Pomegranate Seeds, Apples and Cashews:
- Cashews, roasted and unsalted - 1/2 cup , roughly chopped
- Pomegranate seeds (opt) (look for these already removed from their shell in the refrigerated produce section) - 1/2 cup
- Apples, any variety - 1 , sliced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Spinach, baby - 5 oz
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then ginger, onions and curry powder to heated oil with a generous pinch of salt. Saute until onions are soft, ~2 minutes. Add squash cubes and saute until the outsides begin to brown, ~3 minutes. Add stock and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cover with the lid. Simmer until squash is tender, ~15 minutes.
- While soup simmers, make vinaigrette by combining vinegar, maple syrup, mustard and olive oil. Season with some salt and pepper. Toss spinach with vinaigrette, apple slices, pomegranate seeds and cashews.
- After soup has simmered and squash is tender, puree with an immersion blender (like in this video) or transfer to a blender in batches. Puree until smooth. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with sour cream. Serve with salad on the side and enjoy!