Oven-Baked Risotto with Roasted Mushrooms
with garlicky chard and beans
Smarts: Don't love mushrooms? Sub in any veggie that roasts well and just follow the same recipe formula.
- Onions - 1, diced
- Mushrooms, any type - 10 oz, sliced ((we used Oyster))
- Parsley (opt) - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Rice, Arborio - 1 cup
- Stock, chicken - 3 1/2 cups
- Thyme, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Chard, any type - 1 bunch, leaves torns, stems chopped
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 cup
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees. Situate racks so that you can fit both a saute pan on the bottom rack and a sheet pan on the top rack.
- Heat an oven-safe pan with a lid over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then onions to heated oil. Saute until softened and translucent, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in arborio rice and saute until rice is lightly toasted and the pan is dry. Pour in chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cover and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Toss mushrooms on a sheet pan with second part of oil and thyme. Roast for 10 to 12 minutes (time so it’ll finish around the same time as the risotto).
- While risotto and mushrooms are cooking, heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic to heated oil. Once you can smell the garlic, add chard stems and saute for ~3 minutes. Fold in beans and chard leaves. Saute until leaves are softened. Finish with lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Once mushrooms are done roasting, sprinkle with salt and pepper and fold into the risotto. Sprinkle with parsley (if using) and season to taste with salt and pepper. If you’re feeling indulgent you can stir in a tablespoon or two of butter. Enjoy with chard and beans!
Used instant-rice, so it wasn't very creamy, but the flavors were amazing. Earthy, fresh, & light.0 Helpful
LOVED the risotto.. and the chard was good but just good not great. Would make this meal again.0 Helpful
Loved the risotto and mushroom! Chard was ok.0 Helpful
I'll definitely try it again. It was just too easy. Next time, I'll replace some of the broth with wine and add garlic.0 Helpful
I made this mixing the recipe for the butternut squash risotto with this one - I used garlic, wine, chopped mushrooms and Italian seasonings at the start and added spinach in before it went in the oven. Then added the roasted mushrooms at the end as per the recipe, along with Parmesan, butter, parsley and loads of black pepper. O, and some toasted pine nuts for the top. Overall, really good!0 Helpful
I used crimini and shiitake mushrooms and added some butter and Parmesan cheese. I substituted some of the onion with shallots. It was a very filling dish, just a little bland. Some additional herbs would have probably made this at least 3 stars.0 Helpful