Steak with Miso-Lime Butter
with sauteed bok choy with garlic
- Steak, flank, skirt or hangar - 1 1/4 lb
- Green onions - 1 stalk, chopped finely
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Miso, any type - 1 Tbsp
- Lime juice - 1 tsp
- Cauliflower, small - 1 head, florets chopped
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- Garlic - 3 cloves, sliced
- Baby bok choy - 3/4 lb, chopped (sub regular bok choy or zucchini)
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 2 to 3 tsp
- Steak - Season with salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Cauliflower rice - If not already made from Monday, pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Garlic / Green onions - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Bok choy - Halve bok choy lengthwise and then rinse thoroughly in cold water in case any dirt got trapped in the stems. Drain and then chop. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make miso-lime butter - Soften butter in microwave for ~10 seconds. Mash in miso, lime juice, and green onions. If you like spice, add in a few drops of your favorite hot sauce. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- If making steak on grill: Preheat grill to 500F / 260C degrees. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Place steak over direct heat. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side with the cover closed. Move steak to indirect heat and cook until it reaches desired level of doneness. Medium-rare: 130F / 54C degrees (~3 minutes); Medium: 140F / 60C degrees (~6 minutes); Well-done: 160F / 71C degrees (~10 minutes).
- If making steak on stovetop / oven: Heat grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with cooking oil. Place steak onto hot pan. Sear steak for ~4 minutes on each side. Lower heat to medium, cover with foil, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes for medium-rare; another 4 to 7 minutes for medium; 8 to 10 minutes for well-done.
- While steak cooks, heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then chopped bok choy to the pan. Saute for ~3 minutes and then add sliced garlic. Saute for another 3 to 5 minutes, until bok choy is tender but still crunchy. Finish with soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper and some lime juice if desired.
- After steak is done, rest for ~5 minutes, keeping covered with foil, before slicing against the grain. Enjoy steak and bok choy over cauliflower rice, spreading miso-lime butter over steak.
Side dishes were a bit bland, eventough i used double amount of soy.. something was off with the cauliflower to. Steak and miso butter were good0 Helpful
I doubled the amount of bok choy.0 Helpful
Skipped the cauliflower rice because the pre-riced stuff from Trader Joe's doesn't last long in the fridge (ask me how I found out). Stuck to the recipe otherwise. Big hit with my S.O.!0 Helpful
Husband made this, but only the steak which didn't wow us; so we didn't get the full effect. I'd like to try this again myself!0 Helpful
Delish! The miso-lime butter makes the dish. We used red miso and added a bit to the veggies.0 Helpful
So delicious!! The Miso Lime Butter really makes the dish!0 Helpful