Delicata Squash Salad
with lentils and tarragon vinaigrette
If you've never had delicata squash, you're in for a real treat. This winter squash has a sweet, nutty flavor and is one of the best for weeknight dinners because you don't have to peel it. Served on a salad with crisp roasted pecans and protein-rich lentils, it's a great combination for cooler weather.
- Garlic - 1 clove , minced
- Tarragon, fresh (sub fresh thyme) - 1/2 Tbsp , chopped
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 3 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Honey - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
Roasted Delicata Squash Salad:
- Onions, red - 1/2 , sliced
- Pecan halves - 1/2 cup , roughly chopped
- Squash, delicata (sub acorn squash) - 1 1/2 lbs , sliced
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Lentils, French or green and cooked (look for vacuum-packed in the refrigerated section; otherwise canned) - 2 cups , rinsed and drained
- Kale, baby (sub large kale leaves, thinly sliced) - 5 oz
- Onions / Pecans - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Squash - Rinse and dry squash. Slice in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds with a spoon. Cut into 1” (1.25 cm) slices. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Vinaigrette - Chop garlic and tarragon. Combine with vinegar, mustard, honey and cooking oil. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Lentils - Rinse and drain.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Line sheet pan with foil and brush with some cooking oil. Toss squash slices, onions and pecans with cooking oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Spread on the pan and roast, stirring halfway through, until tender, ~25 minutes.
- When squash is done cooking, allow to cool slightly and then toss with lentils and greens. Top with dressing and enjoy!