Tuscan White Bean Stew
with garlic bread
Tuscan White Bean Stew:
- Onions, red - 1/2 , chopped
- Red peppers, roasted (store-bought in a jar) - 1/4 cup
- Artichoke hearts, frozen or canned - 16 , chopped
- Baby spinach - 2 oz , chopped
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g can) - 2 cans , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Rosemary, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Stock, vegetable - 3 cups
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Cheese, parmesan - 2 Tbsp , shredded
- Parsley, any fresh variety - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Sandwich rolls, Italian sub style - 2 , halved
- Onions / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cheese / Parsley / Red peppers - Prep as directed. For roasted red peppers, drain, rinse and roughly chop. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- If using frozen artichoke hearts, defrost in microwave; if using canned artichoke hearts, drain and rinse. Roughly chop. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Prep garlic bread - Mash garlic with butter, parmesan, and parsley. Slice bread open lengthwise, and top with garlic butter.
- Roughly chop spinach. Drain and rinse beans.
- Heat oven to 375F / 191C degrees.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat and add cooking oil. When oil is hot, add onion and saute until onion is soft, ~3 minutes. Add red peppers and spinach and saute spinach is wilted, ~4 minutes more. Add stock, beans, artichoke hearts and rosemary sprigs and simmer until stew reduces slightly, ~8 minutes. Discard rosemary sprigs.
- While stew simmers, place bread, cut-side up onto a sheet pan. Bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve stew with garlic bread on the side. Enjoy!