Tuscan Chicken Skillet
with shredded kale salad
- Onions, red - 1/2, chopped
- Pancetta - 4 oz, chopped
- Artichoke hearts (frozen or canned) - 16, chopped
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 4 large
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Rosemary, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Stock, chicken or vegetable - 1 1/2 cups
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Parsley, any fresh variety - 1 Tbsp, chopped
- Kale, curly leaf - 4 large leaves, finely chopped
- Apples, any variety - 1, chopped
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Pecan halves - 1/4 cup
- Onions / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Parsley / Pancetta - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chop kale. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- If using frozen artichoke hearts, defrost in microwave; if using canned artichoke hearts, drain and rinse. Roughly chop. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Chicken - Season with salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Chop apples.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add cooking oil. When oil is hot, sear chicken until golden brown on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Return skillet to heat and reduce to medium heat. Add pancetta and onion. Saute until onion is soft, ~3 minutes. Add vinegar (the portion for the chicken) and scrape up any dark bits in the bottom of the pan. Add stock, rosemary and artichoke hearts and bring to a simmer. Return chicken thighs to pan, cover with a lid and simmer until chicken is cooked through, ~8 minutes (internal temperature will be 165F / 74C). Discard rosemary sprigs and squeeze lemon juice over top.
- While chicken cooks, whisk together garlic, parsley, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice. Rub dressing into shredded kale and toss with pecans and apples.
- Serve chicken with pan sauce spooned over top and salad on the side. Enjoy!
Served this over leftover farro 10/10 recommend! Easy and so full of flavor.0 Helpful
Yum! The only thing I didn't like was the small portion. Will make more chicken next time.0 Helpful
Loved this! After reading comments added garlic and cornstarch. It was restaurant worthy.0 Helpful
I didn't make the garlic bread, but instead paired with noodles. It felt like a gourmet Italian dish! So much flavor! My husband wants me t chop some mushrooms and add a little wilted spinach next time. We also added a little Parmesan cheese on top.0 Helpful
Next time I'll include a side of broccoli or other veggies. Very tasty and smelled absolutely amazing while cooking.0 Helpful
Made the original but converted it to gluten free with gf garlic bread. Next time I would try to thicken up the sauce to make it more of a gravy. Flavor was great.0 Helpful