Tuscan Chicken Skillet
with artichokes / pancetta / garlic bread
Tuscan Chicken Skillet:
- Onions, red - 1/2 , chopped
- Pancetta - 4 oz , chopped
- Artichoke hearts, frozen or canned - 16 , chopped
- Chicken thighs, boneless and skinless - 4 large
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Rosemary, fresh - 2 sprigs
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Stock, chicken or vegetable - 1 1/2 cups
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Cheese, parmesan - 2 Tbsp , shredded
- Parsley, any fresh variety - 1 Tbsp , chopped
- Sandwich rolls, Italian sub style - 2 , halved
- Onions / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cheese / Parsley / Pancetta - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- If using frozen artichoke hearts, defrost in microwave; if using canned artichoke hearts, drain and rinse. Roughly chop. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Chicken - Season with salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Prep garlic bread - Mash garlic with butter, parmesan, and parsley. Slice bread open lengthwise, and top with garlic butter.
- Heat oven to 375F / 191C degrees.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add cooking oil. When oil is hot, sear chicken until golden brown on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Return skillet to heat and reduce to medium heat. Add pancetta and onion. Saute until onion is soft, ~3 minutes. Add vinegar and scrape up any dark bits in the bottom of the pan. Add stock, rosemary and artichoke hearts and bring to a simmer. Return chicken thighs to pan, cover with a lid and simmer until chicken is cooked through, ~8 minutes (internal temperature will be 165F / 74C). Discard rosemary sprigs and squeeze lemon juice over top.
- While chicken cooks, place bread, cut-side up onto a sheet pan. Bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve chicken with pan sauce spooned over top and garlic bread on the side. Enjoy!