Turkey Meatball Subs
with Italian side salad
Meatball subs are an ultimate comfort food. This version is a bit lighter than some thanks to the use of turkey meatballs which won't dry out when simmered in sauce. We serve these with a tangy Italian-style side salad for a restaurant meal made right in your home kitchen.
Turkey Meatball Subs:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Parsley, any fresh variety - 1/4 cup , chopped
- Eggs - 1
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Turkey, ground - 1 lb
- Panko breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
- Sandwich rolls, Italian sub style - 4
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1 tsp
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 2 cans
Italian Side Salad:
- Onions, red - 1/2 , thinly sliced
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1/4 cup , grated
- Tomatoes, roma - 4 , chopped
- Lettuce, romaine (sub butterhead) - 4 hearts , chopped
- Black olives, sliced (1 can = 2.25 oz / 63 g) - 1 can
- Mayonnaise (sub plain Greek yogurt) - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 2 tsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Onions / Garlic - Prep as directed. If prepping right before cooking, get sauce simmering (Make Step #1) before returning to do the rest of prep. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Parsley / Cheese - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Meatballs - In a large mixing bowl, whisk egg. Add parsley, salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Add turkey and breadcrumbs and stir until evenly combined (or mix with your hands). Form into 1” (2.5 cm) wide meatballs, about 4 to 5 meatballs per serving. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Tomatoes / Lettuce - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Rinse and drain olives.
- Halve sandwich rolls (if not pre-sliced).
- Heat a large saucepan with a lid over medium heat. Add cooking oil, garlic and oregano and saute until fragrant, ~1 minute. Add tomatoes (including liquid) and bring to a simmer. Cover with a lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
- If you would like a smoother sauce, blend with an immersion blender. Season with some salt and pepper. Add meatballs to sauce and gently spoon sauce over to coat. Return lid to the pot and continue to cook over medium heat until meatballs are cooked through, ~10 minutes.
- While meatballs simmer, whisk together mayonnaise, olive oil, vinegar and oregano. Season with salt and pepper. Toss lettuce, olives, tomatoes and onions in dressing. Sprinkle parmesan cheese over top.
- Toast sandwich rolls.
- When meatballs are cooked through, spoon meatballs and sauce onto rolls (it will be messy, but that’s part of the fun!). Enjoy with salad on the side!