Lemon Tilapia en Papillote
with sundried tomato pesto / rosemary potatoes
One of our favorite ways to prepare fish is in a parchment packet "en papillote" which protects it from drying out during cooking. To round out the meal, we've added roasted potatoes and a twist on classic pesto that is available year-round thanks to sweet sundried tomatoes and fresh arugula.
Sundried Tomato Pesto (enough for 2 nights):
- Sun dried tomatoes, packed in oil - 1 cup , drained and rinsed
- Pecan halves - 3/4 cup
- Cheese, parmesan - 1/4 cup
- Arugula - 2 cups
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
Lemon Tilapia en Papillote:
- Lemons - 1 , sliced
- Tilapia (sub cod or other white fish) - 1 lb
- Rosemary, fresh - 1 sprig , chopped
- Potatoes, baby or new - 1 lb , quartered
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Make pesto - (This makes enough for 2 nights.) Drain and rinse tomatoes. Place all pesto ingredients into a food processor. Pulse until thickened. If it's not 'saucy' enough, add more olive oil or a splash of water. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made up to 5 days ahead)
- Lemons / Rosemary - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Quarter potatoes.
Tilapia - Tear out 1 sheet per serving (so for 4 servings, use 4 sheets) of parchment paper or foil, about 18" (45 cm) wide. For parchment paper, stack, fold in half, and then cut into angular heart shapes (diagram below or see video). If you’re using foil, there’s no need to do this. Rinse and dry tilapia with paper towels. Place each tilapia fillet onto one half of foil or parchment sheet and season with salt and pepper. Top with lemon slices and fold parchment or foil over to enclose fish. Crimp the edge of the foil or fold edges of parchment to seal.
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Spread potatoes on a sheet pan and cover tightly with some foil. Cook potatoes for 12 minutes, then remove foil and toss with butter (the butter will melt as you toss), rosemary and some salt and pepper. Move potatoes to one half of the pan and add fish packets to the other half (if space is tight use a second sheet pan for the fish).
- Put potatoes and fish in oven and continue cooking for 10 to 12 minutes until potatoes are tender and fish is easily flaked with a fork.
- Spoon pesto onto each serving plate (remember to reserve half the pesto for Thursday) and place tilapia on top. Serve with potatoes on the side and enjoy!