Tomato Soup with Shrimp
and mushrooms and spinach
This easy soup was on our menu the week of 3/23/15 and takes advantage of how quickly shrimp cooks. Served in a creamy soup, it's a great cold weather meal.
Tomato Soup with Shrimp:
- Shrimp - 1 lb , peeled and deveined
- Garlic - 4 cloves , minced
- Onions - 1 , chopped
- Carrots - 2 , chopped
- Mushrooms, brown or cremini - 3/4 lb , sliced
- Diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp
- Basil, dried - 1/2 Tbsp
- Vegetable broth - 3 cups
- Grassfed butter (opt) - 2 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
- Shrimp - Defrost, rinse, and dry. Lightly salt and pepper.
- Garlic / Onions / Carrots / Mushrooms - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Diced tomatoes - Drain.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then garlic, onions, and carrots to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt, first part of red pepper flakes, and basil. Saute for ~5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth, and some salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. If using an immersion blender, you might want to transfer pot into sink since there might be spattering.
- Return pot to medium-high heat and fold in mushrooms. Cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- While soup finishes cooking, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add second part of cooking oil and then second part of red pepper flakes and shrimp to heated oil. Saute until pink on the outside and opaque on the inside, 3 to 6 minutes.
- Turn off heat to soup, and stir in butter (if using) and spinach. Finish with lemon juice, and season to taste with more salt and pepper. Divide soup into bowls and top with shrimp. Enjoy your comforting soup!