Tomato Soup with Shrimp
and mushrooms and spinach
- Shrimp - 1 lb, peeled and deveined
- Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 2, chopped
- Mushrooms, brown or cremini - 3/4 lb, sliced
- Diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp
- Basil, dried - 1/2 Tbsp
- Vegetable broth - 3 cups
- Grassfed butter (opt) - 2 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then garlic, onions, and carrots to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt, first part of red pepper flakes, and basil. Saute for ~5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth, and some salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. If using an immersion blender, you might want to transfer pot into sink since there might be spattering.
- Return pot to medium-high heat and fold in mushrooms. Cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- While soup finishes cooking, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add second part of cooking oil and then second part of red pepper flakes and shrimp to heated oil. Saute until pink on the outside and opaque on the inside, 3 to 6 minutes.
- Turn off heat to soup, and stir in butter (if using) and spinach. Finish with lemon juice, and season to taste with more salt and pepper. Divide soup into bowls and top with shrimp. Enjoy your comforting soup!
This was good, but I think I would've liked tortellini and a side salad better.1 Helpful
Raw tomato taste0 Helpful
Tortillini got very overcooked0 Helpful
Subbed dried ravioli & 5oz of frozen spinach. Saved red pepper for individual bowls. Seems like it missing something, maybe bay leaf (taken out before blending)0 Helpful
I used two cans of crushed tomatoes and didn't even bother blending it, it turned out just fine. Loved the creamy texture with the yogurt, although I have used milk in similar recipes and have had equivalent results.0 Helpful
Really liked this, although next time I make this I will add some heavy cream Instead of yogurt. I like my soup a bit creamier.0 Helpful
Even better the next day for lunch!0 Helpful