Creamy Tomato Soup with Shrimp
and mushrooms and spinach
This easy soup was on our menu the week of 3/23/15 and takes advantage of how quickly shrimp cooks. Served in a creamy soup, it's a great cold weather meal. This time around, we recommend using plain yogurt instead of cream to add thickness to the soup since you'll already be using yogurt earlier this week.
Creamy Tomato Soup with Shrimp:
- Shrimp - 3/4 lb , peeled and deveined
- Garlic - 4 cloves , minced
- Onions - 1 , chopped
- Carrots - 2 , chopped
- Mushrooms, brown or cremini - 3/4 lb , sliced
- Diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Artichoke hearts - 1 can , quartered
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp
- Basil, dried - 1/2 Tbsp
- Vegetable broth - 3 cups
- Plain yogurt (opt) - 2 to 4 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then garlic, onions, and carrots to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt, first part of red pepper flakes, and basil. Saute for ~5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth, and some salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. If using an immersion blender, you might want to transfer pot into sink since there might be spattering.
- Return pot to medium-high heat and fold in mushrooms and artichoke hearts. Cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- While soup finishes cooking, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add second part of cooking oil and then second part of red pepper flakes and shrimp to heated oil. Saute until pink on the outside and opaque on the inside, 3 to 6 minutes.
- Turn off heat to soup, and stir in yogurt (if using) and spinach. Finish with lemon juice, and season to taste with more salt and pepper. Divide soup into bowls and top with shrimp. Enjoy your comforting soup!