Tortellini Soup with Creamy Tomato Broth
and mushrooms and spinach
This easy soup was on our menu the week of 3/23/15 and took advantage of the convenience of storebought tortellini. Served in a creamy soup, it's a great cold weather meal. This time around, we recommend using plain yogurt instead of cream to add thickness to the soup since you'll already be using yogurt earlier this week.
- Garlic - 4 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, chopped
- Carrots - 2, chopped
- Mushrooms, brown or cremini - 3/4 lb, sliced
- Diced tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted (28 oz / 794 g can) - 1 can
- Tortellini, fresh or frozen - 10 oz
- Cooking oil - 1 Tbsp
- Red pepper flakes - 1/2 tsp
- Basil, dried - 1/2 Tbsp
- Vegetable broth - 3 cups
- Plain yogurt (opt) - 2 to 4 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 5 oz
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Cook tortellini according to package instructions and then drain.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil and then garlic, onions, and carrots to heated oil with a sprinkle of salt, red pepper flakes, and basil. Saute for ~5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, broth, and some salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 4 to 6 minutes.
- Puree with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. If using an immersion blender, you might want to transfer pot into sink since there might be spattering.
- Return pot to medium-high heat and fold in mushrooms. Cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn off heat, and stir in yogurt (if using), tortellini, and spinach. Finish with lemon juice, and season to taste with more salt and pepper. Enjoy your comforting soup!
Raw tomato taste0 Helpful
Tortillini got very overcooked0 Helpful
Subbed dried ravioli & 5oz of frozen spinach. Saved red pepper for individual bowls. Seems like it missing something, maybe bay leaf (taken out before blending)0 Helpful
I used two cans of crushed tomatoes and didn't even bother blending it, it turned out just fine. Loved the creamy texture with the yogurt, although I have used milk in similar recipes and have had equivalent results.0 Helpful
Really liked this, although next time I make this I will add some heavy cream Instead of yogurt. I like my soup a bit creamier.0 Helpful
Even better the next day for lunch!0 Helpful