Slow Cooker Turkey and Sweet Potato Chili
This simple chili first appeared the week of 1/12/15 and was such a hit, we're bringing it back. Make it in a slow cooker or a Dutch oven (we provide directions for both) - regardless of your chosen cooking method, you'll love the chili flavors with the sweet tenderness of sweet potatoes.
Smarts: Put this on your football viewing party list! It's hearty enough to satisfy while still being healthy.
- Ground turkey, lean - 1 lb
- Arrowroot powder - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, diced
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, diced
- Kale - 1/2 bunch, leaves torn
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Crushed tomatoes - 1 cup
- Cumin - 1 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Chicken stock - 1 1/2 cups
- Avocados, large - 1, cubed
- If slow cooking, heat up a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat (if not slow cooking, heat up a Dutch oven). Add cooking oil and then garlic and onions with a dash of salt to heated oil. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Fold in turkey and use a wooden spoon to break up into bits. Cook until brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- If slow cooking, transfer to slow cooker. Add in crushed tomatoes, cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt, chicken stock, sweet potatoes, and kale and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. (If not slow cooking, add all those ingredients into the Dutch oven, cover, and bring to a boil. Then simmer uncovered for ~20 minutes.)
- Cube avocado.
- Once chili is done, season to taste with salt, pepper, any more of the spices, or dig into your condiments. Portion into bowls and let everyone top with avocado.
All loved it, including me, and I’m not a big fan of sweet potato! Yay!0 Helpful
Everyone in our family LOVED this. We didn't have the avocado, but we didn't miss it. We'll be making this one again very soon!0 Helpful
Doubled the spices and added a can of black beans and leftover white beans. AMAZING0 Helpful
Can't wait to make it again! Add black beans per another's suggestion. Great move.0 Helpful
I liked it but the sweet potatoes were a little sweet. I might use regular yukons next time0 Helpful
Made a huge pot to feed us during the week and freeze for later. Added 2 cans red beans. Didn't bother with the lemon yogurt but sounds delicious! Kids loved it!0 Helpful