Slow Cooker Turkey and Sweet Potato Chiliwith lemon-garlic yogurt
This simple chili first appeared the week of 1/12/15 and was such a hit, we're bringing it back. Make it in a slow cooker or a Dutch oven (we provide directions for both) - regardless of your chosen cooking method, you'll love the chili flavors with the sweet tenderness of sweet potatoes.
Smarts: Put this on your football viewing party list! It's hearty enough to satisfy while still being healthy.
- Ground turkey, lean - 1 lb
- Corn starch - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, diced
- Sweet potatoes - 1 lb, diced
- Cooking oil - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Crushed tomatoes - 1 cup
- Cumin - 1 1/2 tsp
- Paprika - 1 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Chicken stock - 1 1/2 cups
- Avocados, large - 1, cubed
- Tortilla chips (opt) - for serving with chili
- Cheese (opt - like Mexican blend, cheddar, Jack) - for serving on chili
- Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- Greek yogurt, plain - 1 1/2 cups
- Lemons - 1, juice of
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- If slow cooking, heat up a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat (if not slow cooking, heat up a Dutch oven). Add cooking oil and then garlic and onions with a dash of salt to heated oil. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Fold in turkey and use a wooden spoon to break up into bits. Cook until brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
- If slow cooking, transfer to slow cooker. Add in crushed tomatoes, cumin, paprika, chili powder, salt, chicken stock, and sweet potatoes and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. (If not slow cooking, add all those ingredients into the Dutch oven, cover, and bring to a boil. Then simmer uncovered for ~20 minutes.)
- While chili is cooking, make lemon-garlic yogurt. Mix yogurt with minced garlic, lemon juice, and salt (this makes enough for Tuesday’s dinner).
- Cube avocado.
- Once chili is done, season to taste with salt, pepper, any more of the spices, or dig into your condiments. Portion into bowls and let everyone top with avocado, cheese (if using), and yogurt. Scoop with tortilla chips if using. Remember to save half of the yogurt for Tuesday!
This meal has 85 reviews
All loved it, including me, and I’m not a big fan of sweet potato! Yay!
Everyone in our family LOVED this. We didn't have the avocado, but we didn't miss it. We'll be making this one again very soon!
Doubled the spices and added a can of black beans and leftover white beans. AMAZING
Can't wait to make it again! Add black beans per another's suggestion. Great move.
I liked it but the sweet potatoes were a little sweet. I might use regular yukons next time
Made a huge pot to feed us during the week and freeze for later. Added 2 cans red beans. Didn't bother with the lemon yogurt but sounds delicious! Kids loved it!