Green Pepper & Portobello Melts with Hummus
with iceberg lettuce salad
- Onions - 1, sliced
- Mushrooms, portobellos - 2, sliced
- Bell peppers, green - 2, sliced
- Hoagie buns (sub hot dog buns) - 4
- Cheese, American or provolone - 6 slices
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Hummus - 8 Tbsp
- Green onions - 2 stalks, sliced
- Garlic - 1 clove, minced
- Iceberg lettuce - 1/2 head, sliced
- Tomatoes - 1, chopped
- Lemon juice - 1 Tbsp
- Yogurt, plain - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Heat oven to 350F / 177C. Open up buns and place onto a sheet pan. Arrange cheese onto buns. Bake buns in the oven until cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter and cooking oil and then onions to melted butter with some salt. Saute for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly caramelized. If the pan ever looks too dry, add a splash of water.
- Next add portobellos and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Add green peppers and soy sauce. Saute until veggies are tender but still have a bite, another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Spread hummus onto buns and then divide up filling into toasted buns. Toss dressing with lettuce, tomatoes, and green onions. Enjoy salad on the side!
I pulled this from archives. This was delicious!!! I gave it a favorite. I went all out and bought the best of everything for it...so good!!! It was my first experience at carmelizing onions.. And as always, the salad dressing was a hit...especially with my husband. He loves salads, and loves that I take the time to make the dressings from the recipes!0 Helpful
These turn out great... will be making them again..0 Helpful
These were great, next time I might swap out the salad for something less healthy though0 Helpful
I'm a Philly girl and these were quite good!0 Helpful
Hubby loved the sandwich but wouldn't even try the dressing. I have to agree that he wasn't missing much as the dressing was not very good.0 Helpful
Delicious and easy! The salad was odd but the sandwich was quick to prepare and tasted great.0 Helpful