Roasted Teriyaki Seitan & Brussels Sprouts
- Jasmine rice, uncooked - 2/3 cup
Teriyaki Sauce (for 2 dinners):
- Garlic - 3 cloves , minced
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Vinegar, rice - 1 Tbsp
- Water - 1 cup + 1/4 cup
- Honey - 1/4 cup
- Cornstarch - 2 Tbsp
- Oil, toasted sesame - 1 Tbsp
Roasted Teriyaki Seitan and Brussels Sprouts:
- Brussels sprouts - 1 1/2 lbs , trimmed and halved
- Seitan (sub tempeh) - 1 lb , cubed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cilantro - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Teriyaki sauce (homemade, ingredients listed separately) - 1/2 cup
- Sesame seeds - 4 tsp
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
- Rice - For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make teriyaki sauce - This makes enough for two nights. Mince garlic. Combine garlic, soy sauce, rice vinegar, first part of water, and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Mix cornstarch with second part of water (making sure it’s cold). Pour cornstarch mixture into saucepan and simmer until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in toasted sesame oil. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Brussels sprouts / Seitan - Prep as directed. For Brussels sprouts, trim off stems and halve or quarter (halve for smaller brussels sprouts, quarter for larger ones). (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C.
- Toss brussels sprouts and seitan with cooking oil and some salt and pepper. Spread out onto a sheet pan and roast for 20 to 25 minutes, shaking once.
- Chop cilantro while seitan and brussels sprouts cook.
- Toss brussels sprouts and seitan with teriyaki sauce (save the rest for tomorrow night's dinner), sesame seeds, cilantro, and lemon juice fresh out of the oven. Enjoy over rice.