Pizza with Balsamic Mushrooms
chard / provolone
- Onions - 1/4, diced
- Garlic - 2 clove, chopped
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Tomato paste - 4 Tbsp
- Water / Chicken stock - 1/4 cup
- Pizza dough - 1 lb
- Chard, any type - 4 leaves, chopped (leaves and stems separate)
- Mushroom, any button - 4 oz, sliced
- Cheese, provolone - 4 oz, sliced
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Pizza dough - Cover in flour and let rest for at least 30 minutes outside of fridge before rolling out. This is tip #1 to good pizza - resting dough gives gluten time to chill out, which makes the dough much more pliable.
- Onions / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Make sauce - Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add olive oil and when hot, add onions, garlic and oregano and saute until onions are tender, ~3 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and water and simmer until thickens slightly, ~1 minute. Add more water if needed to reach a smooth, spreadable consistency. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chard / Mushrooms / Cheese - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F (218C) degrees and position top rack so it’s at the very top.
- Heat a skillet or frying pan over medium heat and add cooking oil. When oil is hot, add mushrooms with a sprinkle of salt and saute until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Add chard stems and saute until tender, ~2 minutes more. Add balsamic vinegar and chard leaves and saute until leaves are wilted and coated in vinegar.
- Brush a sheet pan with some olive oil. Using hands, stretch out pizza dough to cover sheet pan - it should be pretty easy to do if you let the dough rest. Brush dough with a bit of olive oil.
- Bake dough on top rack for 3 minutes without toppings. This solo time in the oven gives the dough time to crisp up; if you put toppings on now, your crust may get soggy.
- Spread tomato sauce over dough, top with mushroom and chard mixture. Cover with cheese.
- Bake pizza on the top rack for 8 to 11 minutes, until cheese is bubbly.
- Enjoy pizza hot out of the oven and topped with red pepper flakes if you’d like.
The pizza crust we buy always needs a few more minutes than in the recipe. The flavors were great!0 Helpful
Loved it! Next time I will double the veggies and pre-bake the crust for 5 minutes instead of 3, the crust was a little on the doughy side. The sauce was amazing!0 Helpful
Whole family liked it, added garlic and onion powder to steak rub.0 Helpful
I didn't make this during the original week. Thought it looked different but we haven't been disappointed thus far. AND IT WAS DELICIOUS! Must do's: add the red pepper flakes if you like a little kick, use extra cheese - I did 6oz, and used pre-made Boboli thin pizza crust just for ease of cooking. Worth a try if you haven't had it. I'd be interested in trying the paleo version as well!0 Helpful
Excellent!! Just added beef for meat! 6/50 Helpful
I really enjoyed this. I added pancetta to the pan with mushrooms and chard stems for a little something extra. Think it also would have been good with a balsamic glaze drizzled on top,0 Helpful