Thai Drunken Noodles (Pad Kee Mao)
chicken / bok choy
Wide rice noodles simmered in a dark, sweet and savory sauce known as "drunken noodles" are a Thai take-out favorite for good reason. Fortunately, this dish is easy enough to replicate at home with a few common ingredients. Smarts: We offer a few suggestions for substitutes if you can't find the fresh wide rice noodles usually used in this dish.
Thai Drunken Noodles (Pad Kee Mao):
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless - 1 lb , thinly sliced
- Bok choy (sub broccoli) - 6 oz , halved and sliced
- Mushrooms, any button - 4 oz , sliced
- Peppers, jalapeno (opt) - 1 , sliced
- Eggs - 2
- Fresh wide rice noodles (sub dry rice noodles or fettucini) - 8 oz
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
Drunken Noodle Sauce:
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Sugar, granulated - 2 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Fish sauce - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, rice - 2 tsp
- Make sauce - Chop garlic. Combine with sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce and vinegar. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Cut into thin slices and tenderize with a fork. Pour half the sauce (reserve the other half) over chicken and marinate for 30 minutes and up to a day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Bok choy / Mushrooms / Jalapenos - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Whisk eggs.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Cook noodles according to package directions. (Be sure to cook just until noodles are al dente, not soggy, as they will cook a bit more in the sauce.)
- Heat a wok or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add first part of oil. When oil begins to shimmer add chicken. Saute until chicken is cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and return pan to heat.
- Add second part of oil and mushrooms and saute until tender, ~2 minutes. Add bok choy and jalapeno and saute until bok choy stems are tender, ~2 minutes more. Add reserved sauce and toss to combine. Push vegetables to the sides of the pan, forming an empty space in the center. Add eggs and scramble until firm. When eggs are cooked, add in noodles and chicken. Toss just until everything is coated in sauce.
- Enjoy noodles hot out of the wok! If you like, you can sprinkle red pepper flakes over the top for extra spice.