Classic Meatloaf with Chard and Carrots
mixed greens pear salad
There is something comforting and nostalgic about a classic meatloaf. Our version includes finely chopped chard and carrots which give the meal an extra dose of veggies, but more importantly, lend extra moisture to the dish. Smarts: Meatloaf makes great leftovers. This recipe makes enough meatloaf for two nights so that you can make a quick bolognese sauce with it later in the week.
Meatloaf with Chard and Carrots (enough for 2 nights):
- Carrots - 1/2 lb , chopped
- Onions - 1/2 , chopped
- Chard, any type - 4 leaves , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , peeled
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Beef, ground (chuck or 85% lean) - 2 lbs
- Eggs - 2
- Salt - 3/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Ketchup (sub tomato paste thinned with a splash of water) - 1/2 cup
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
Mixed Greens Pear Salad:
- Shallots - 1/2 bulb , diced
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Pears, any variety - 1 , sliced
- Mixed greens - 4 oz
- Make vinaigrette - Dice shallot. Whisk together shallots, wine vinegar, mustard and honey. Add oil while whisking. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Prep meatloaf filling - If preparing right before cooking, turn on the oven before returning to this step. Chop carrots, onions and chard leaves into large pieces and combine with garlic cloves in a food processor. Pulse until carrots form pea-sized pieces. Alternatively, you can shred the carrots with a box grater and chop the other vegetables by hand into small, even pieces. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Assemble meatloaf - Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add butter. When butter is hot, add carrots, onions, chard and garlic with a sprinkle of salt and saute until tender, ~3 minutes. In a large mixing bowl, combine aromatics with beef, eggs, salt and pepper. Mix with your hands or a wooden spoon just until ingredients are roughly combined (be careful not to overmix as as this will help to keep the meatloaf tender). Transfer to a loaf pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and smooth out the top. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Slice pears.
- Heat oven to 350F (177C) degrees. Whisk together ketchup, mustard and balsamic vinegar and spread over top of meatloaf. Bake meatloaf until a thermometer inserted in the middle registers 155F (68C) degrees, 45 to 50 minutes. Let meatloaf rest for 5 minutes at room temperature before slicing.
- Toss together greens, pears and vinaigrette.
- Slice meatloaf (reserving half for Wednesday) and enjoy with salad on the side.