Tofu and Vegetable Stir-Fry
Tofu and Vegetable Stir-Fry:
- Rice, white or brown - 1 cup
- Tofu, extra firm (vacuum packed preferable) - 16 oz , cubed
- Bell peppers, any color - 2 , sliced
- Broccoli - 10 oz , chopped
- Cornstarch - 1 Tbsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
Black Pepper Sauce:
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp , grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Sugar, light brown - 2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Oil, sesame - 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Cook rice - For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Then slice into 1” (2.5 cm) cubes. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Bell peppers / Broccoli - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Make stir-fry sauce - Grate ginger and chop garlic. Combine with soy sauce, brown sugar, black pepper, sesame oil, red pepper flakes and cornstarch (just the portion for the sauce). (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Toss tofu in cornstarch (the portion for the stir-fry).
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil. When it begins to shimmer, add tofu. Toss until golden brown and crisp, ~3 minutes. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Return wok to heat and add second part of cooking oil. Add peppers and broccoli. Cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add sauce and simmer until sauce thickens and coats vegetables. Remove from heat and stir in tofu. Top with a squeeze of lime juice.
- If rice was prepared in advance, reheat in microwave.
- Serve stir-fry over rice and enjoy!