Thai Beef Curry
cashews / cauliflower rice
Thai Beef and Vegetable Curry:
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , chopped
- Broccoli - 10 oz , chopped
- Shallots - 1/2 bulb , diced
- Lemongrass - 2 stalks , mashed
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp , grated
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Beef, boneless sirloin, flank or skirt (look for pre-sliced to save time) - 1 lb , sliced into thin strips
- Cilantro, fresh - 1/4 cup , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Curry paste, red (sub yellow) - 1 Tbsp
- Cashews - 1/2 cup
- Coconut milk, light - 1 cup
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
- Cauliflower - 1 head , florets, chopped
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Bell peppers / Broccoli / Shallots / Lemongrass / Ginger / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Beef - Slice against the grain into 2” (5 cm) long strips. Season with salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Chop cilantro.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil. When it begins to shimmer, add beef. Toss until it begins to brown (it will finish cooking in the sauce). Remove from wok and set aside.
- Return wok to heat and add second part of cooking oil. Add shallots, lemongrass and ginger and saute until shallots soften, ~2 minutes. Add curry paste and stir until fragrant. Add bell peppers, broccoli, cashews and garlic and saute until vegetables are tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Pour coconut milk into wok and bring to a simmer. When coconut milk begins to simmer, stir in beef and simmer until beef is cooked through. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice. Top with cilantro leaves.
- If cauliflower rice was prepared in advance, reheat in microwave.
- Serve curry over cauliflower rice and enjoy!