Baked Potato Soup
tart apple and spinach salad
Creamy potato soup is served with classic toppings - shredded cheddar cheese, green onions and sour cream. A fresh green salad on the side made with tart apples complements the soup's comforting flavors.
Baked Potato Soup:
- Onions - 1/2 , chopped
- Green onions - 3 stalks , chopped, white and green parts separate
- Potatoes, russet - 1 1/2 lbs , peeled and diced
- Butter - 3 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose or whole wheat - 3 Tbsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Stock, vegetable - 6 cups
- Cheese, cheddar (opt) - 4 oz , grated
- Sour cream - 1/3 cup + 1/3 cup (sub plain or Greek yogurt)
Tart Apple and Spinach Salad:
- Shallots - 1/2 clove , sliced
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, olive - 3 Tbsp
- Apples, any tart, green-skinned variety - 1 , sliced
- Baby spinach - 3 oz
- Onions / Green onions - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Peel potatoes and cut into large cubes. (If doing this more than an hour ahead, soak in a bowl of water to prevent potatoes from turning brown.) (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- If making in a slow cooker: Heat a skillet or non-stick pan over medium heat. Add butter. When butter melts, add onions, white parts of green onions (reserve the green parts) and some salt and saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add flour and thyme and saute until vegetables are coated. Combine onion mixture with potatoes and stock in the bowl of a slow-cooker. Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 7 to 8 hours, until potatoes are tender.
- Make dressing - Slice shallots. Combine with vinegar, mustard, honey and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Grate cheese. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Slice apples.
- If making on stovetop: Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add butter. When butter melts, add onions, white parts of green onions (reserve the green parts) and some salt and saute until tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Add flour and thyme and saute until vegetables are coated. Add potatoes and stock. Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, ~20 minutes.
- When soup is finished cooking, add first part of sour cream and blend with an immersion blender until it reaches preferred consistency (either completely smooth or with some pieces of potato remaining). Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss spinach and apples in dressing.
- Serve soup with cheese, remaining sour cream and green parts of green onions on top. Enjoy with salad on the side!