broccoli and feta
Baked Penne with Broccoli and Feta:
- Broccoli - 6 oz , chopped
- Onions - 1/2 , diced
- Bell peppers, red - 1/2 , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Pasta, penne (or other shape) - 8 oz
- Cheese, feta - 4 oz , crumbled
- Cheese, provolone - 3 oz , grated
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Oregano, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (opt) - 1/2 tsp
- Tomatoes, diced (14 oz / 397 g) - 2 cans
- Broccoli / Onions / Bell peppers / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cook pasta and broccoli - Bring a sauce pan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. About 1 minute before finishing, add in broccoli. Drain. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Crumble feta and grate provolone. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 425 F / 218 C degrees.
- Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooking oil. When oil begins to shimmer, add onions and bell peppers and saute until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add tomatoes (including juice) and stir to combine. Season with some salt and pepper. Simmer until sauce thickens, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir pasta, broccoli and feta (if it won't all fit easily in skillet, transfer to a baking dish coated with non-stick cooking spray). Top with provolone.
- Transfer to oven and bake until provolone is melted, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve pasta hot out of the oven and enjoy!