Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche with Rice Crust
side salad / dried cranberries / pecans
A classic quiche is not exactly a weeknight-friendly meal, so we use a shortcut to create a cheesy crust using cooked rice as a base. Filled with cheddar and broccoli, this dish makes healthy leftovers for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche:
- Broccoli florets - 6 oz , chopped
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Cheese, sharp cheddar - 3 oz , grated
- Eggs - 6
- Sour cream - 1/4 cup + 1/4 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
Rice Quiche Crust:
- Eggs - 1
- Leftover rice (from Wed) - ~2 cups
- Cheese, sharp cheddar - 1 oz , grated
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
Mixed Greens with Cranberries and Pecans:
- Pecan halves - 1/4 cup , chopped
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 4 oz
- Cranberries, dried - 1/4 cup
- Cook rice - If you made rice earlier in the week, skip this step. Use 1 cup dry rice for four servings. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccoli / Pecans / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Pre-cook broccoli - Place broccoli and garlic in a microwave-safe container. Cover with a wet paper towel and microwave for 2 minutes and 15 seconds, until tender but still al dente. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Grate cheese. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 400 F / 204 C degrees.
- Spray a pie dish with cooking spray (if making more or less than 4 servings, these will bake more evenly as mini quiches in a muffin pan; make 2 mini quiches per person). Whisk eggs (just the portion for the crust) and combine with rice, cheese (just the portion for the crust), salt and pepper. Gently press into bottom and sides of the pie dish. Bake until rice begins to turn golden brown, ~8 minutes (if making mini quiches, skip this initial baking step).
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, first portion of sour cream (reserve half for serving), salt and pepper. Beat with a whisk until smooth.
- Top crust with cheese and then broccoli. Pour egg mixture over top.
- Bake until eggs are cooked through, ~25 minutes for a full-size quiche and ~12 minutes for mini quiches.
- While quiche is baking, make vinaigrette by whisking together vinegar, mustard and oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss vinaigrette with greens, pecans and cranberries.
- Slice and serve quiche with sour cream on top. Enjoy with salad on the side.