Chicken Burrito Bowls
pico de gallo
Homemade chicken burrito bowls will give you another reason to skip the take-out and enjoy dinner at home. A flavorful mix of chicken, black beans and corn is combined with classic taco ingredients and can be served with tortilla chips for scooping.
- Rice, white or brown (enough for 2 nights) - 2 cups
- Coriander, dried - 1 tsp
- Paprika (any variety) - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (sub thighs) - 1 lb, chopped
- Lettuce, any crisp variety like Romaine or Boston leaf - 1 head, thinly sliced
- Cheese, sharp cheddar - 3 oz, grated
- Corn, frozen - 1 cup, defrosted
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Sour cream, for serving (opt) - 1/2 cup
- Tortilla chips, for serving (opt) - 2 cups
- Tomatoes, roma - 6, chopped
- Shallots - 1/2 clove, chopped
- Jalapenos - 1, chopped
- Cilantro, fresh - 1/4 bunch, chopped
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Rice - This makes enough for two nights. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. Remember to reserve half for Thursday. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Spice mix - Mix together coriander, paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop into bite-sized pieces. Toss with spice mix and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce / Cheese / Tomatoes / Shallots / Jalapenos / Cilantro - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Make pico de gallo - Combine tomatoes, shallots, jalapenos and cilantro together in a bowl. Squeeze in lime juice. Season with salt. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Defrost corn in the microwave.
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Heat a saute pan or a wok over medium-high heat. Add in cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil and saute until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Add beans and corn and saute until hot. Season with some salt and pepper and squeeze lime over top.
- If rice was made in advance, reheat in the microwave just enough to take the chill off.
- Assemble burrito bowls by topping shredded lettuce with rice (remember to save half for Thursday), chicken mixture, cheese, pico de gallo, and sour cream. Serve with tortilla chips for dipping. Alternatively, set all ingredients out so that everyone can put together their own bowl. Enjoy!
Super tasty salad. I really loved the combination of the paprika vinaigrette with the pico de gallo.0 Helpful
Really liked the pico de gallo. It added a nice punch. Doubled the chicken/spices and used one can each of corn/beans.0 Helpful
This was super easy. Love that I can just toss ingredients in the processor and come out with something ready to go (pico de gallo). We didn't have avocados on hand which would've rounded this out, but it was great paired with the jicama/avocado salad from earlier in the week. Skipped making/using any vinaigrette0 Helpful
So delicious!!! My favorite meal so far.0 Helpful
Had it over salad instead of rice. Super easy.0 Helpful
Definitely just buy some pick de gallo next time. It's way too labor intensive for a weeknight, and the result is definitely not much better than if you buy it, unless of course you are using garden tomatoes or something.0 Helpful