Chicken Burrito Bowls
pico de gallo
Homemade chicken burrito bowls will give you another reason to skip the take-out and enjoy dinner at home. A flavorful mix of chicken, black beans and corn is combined with classic taco ingredients and can be served with tortilla chips for scooping.
Chicken Burrito Bowls:
- Rice, white or brown (enough for 2 nights) - 2 cups
- Coriander, dried - 1 tsp
- Paprika (any variety) - 1 tsp
- Cumin, ground - 1/2 tsp
- Chili powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (sub thighs) - 1 lb , chopped
- Lettuce, any crisp variety like Romaine or Boston leaf - 1 head , thinly sliced
- Cheese, sharp cheddar - 3 oz , grated
- Corn, frozen - 1 cup , defrosted
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
- Sour cream, for serving (opt) - 1/2 cup
- Tortilla chips, for serving (opt) - 2 cups
Pico de Gallo:
- Tomatoes, roma - 6 , chopped
- Shallots - 1/2 clove , chopped
- Jalapenos - 1 , chopped
- Cilantro, fresh - 1/4 bunch , chopped
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
- Rice - This makes enough for two nights. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. Remember to reserve half for Thursday. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Spice mix - Mix together coriander, paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt and black pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chicken - Chop into bite-sized pieces. Toss with spice mix and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Lettuce / Cheese / Tomatoes / Shallots / Jalapenos / Cilantro - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Make pico de gallo - Combine tomatoes, shallots, jalapenos and cilantro together in a bowl. Squeeze in lime juice. Season with salt. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Defrost corn in the microwave.
- Drain and rinse beans.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a saute pan or a wok over medium-high heat. Add in cooking oil and then chicken to heated oil and saute until cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Add beans and corn and saute until hot. Season with some salt and pepper and squeeze lime over top.
- If rice was made in advance, reheat in the microwave just enough to take the chill off.
- Assemble burrito bowls by topping shredded lettuce with rice (remember to save half for Thursday), chicken mixture, cheese, pico de gallo, and sour cream. Serve with tortilla chips for dipping. Alternatively, set all ingredients out so that everyone can put together their own bowl. Enjoy!