White Bean and Chard Stew
with herb biscuits
- Onions - 1/2, chopped
- Carrots - 1/2 lb, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, white and green parts separate
- Chard, any type - 1/2 bunch, leaves torn, stems chopped
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose or whole wheat - 1/4 cup
- Stock, vegetable - 3 cups
- Bay leaves (opt) - 2
- Peas, frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1/3 cup, shredded
- Eggs - 1
- Flour, all-purpose or whole wheat - 1 cup
- Baking powder - 2 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp, chilled
- Milk - 1/3 cup
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Heat a Dutch oven or skillet over medium heat. Add butter (the portion for the stew) and then onions, carrots, chard stems (reserve the leaves), white parts of green onions (reserve the green parts) and garlic with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour (just the portion for the stew) over the top and cook, stirring, until no white spots remain.
- Add in stock, beans, chard leaves, bay leaves and peas and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, thyme and salt. Add butter, and using your hands (or a pastry cutter) break it into pieces in the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse cornmeal. Stir in milk, egg, green parts of green onions and parmesan just until combined. Drop biscuits onto the top of stew, making 1 large or 2 small biscuits per person.
- Bake stew, uncovered, until the biscuits are golden on top and cooked through, 20-25 minutes.
- Serve stew with biscuits on top of each portion and enjoy!
Love it0 Helpful
Next time we plan to add more beans and fewer peas. Needs more stock. We couldn't find chard, so we used collard greens instead. Good, but definitely would have been better with chard.0 Helpful
Made it a second time but had with dumplings.0 Helpful
Really yummy. The biscuits were really herby and nice. Loved it!!0 Helpful
I liked how quickly this stew came together. I have made other stew recipes that I prefer to this one but all of them have taken significantly more time to prepare. This recipe is perfect for a cold day where you're short on time but craving a warm, hearty meal.0 Helpful
Left out the green onions and it still was tasty. Added a little extra stock.0 Helpful