Chicken Stew with Chard
with balsamic vinaigrette side salad
- Onions - 1/2, chopped
- Carrots - 1/2 lb, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Chard, any type - 1/2 bunch, leaves torn, stems chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (sub thighs) - 1 lb, 1" (2.5 cm) cubes
- Butter - 2 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 tsp
- Stock, chicken or vegetable - 2 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves (opt) - 2
- Bell peppers, red - 1/2, sliced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 3 oz
- Onions / Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed (you can chop these by hand or pulse them a few times in a food processor). Slice bell peppers for the salad. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chard - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Chicken - Chop into 1" (2.5 cm) cubes. Season with salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Heat a Dutch oven or skillet over medium heat. Add butter and then onions, carrots, chard stems (reserve the leaves), garlic and vinegar with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add chicken and saute just until the outside of the chicken is cooked (it will finish cooking after you add the liquid), 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in stock, chard leaves and bay leaves and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer until stew is hot and chicken is cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine vinegar, mustard, maple syrup and oil. Season with some salt and pepper. Toss greens and bell peppers with dressing.
- Serve stew with salad on the side and enjoy!
Love it0 Helpful
Next time we plan to add more beans and fewer peas. Needs more stock. We couldn't find chard, so we used collard greens instead. Good, but definitely would have been better with chard.0 Helpful
Made it a second time but had with dumplings.0 Helpful
Really yummy. The biscuits were really herby and nice. Loved it!!0 Helpful
I liked how quickly this stew came together. I have made other stew recipes that I prefer to this one but all of them have taken significantly more time to prepare. This recipe is perfect for a cold day where you're short on time but craving a warm, hearty meal.0 Helpful
Left out the green onions and it still was tasty. Added a little extra stock.0 Helpful