Chicken Stew with White Beans and Chard
with balsamic vinaigrette side salad
- Onions - 1/2, chopped
- Carrots - 1/2 lb, chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped
- Chard, any type - 1/2 bunch, leaves torn, stems chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (sub thighs) - 1 lb, 1" (2.5 cm) cubes
- Beans, cannellini or butter (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 tsp
- Stock, chicken or vegetable - 2 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves (opt) - 2
- Bell peppers, red - 1/2, sliced
- Vinegar, balsamic - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 2 tsp
- Maple syrup - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Mixed greens - 3 oz
- Onions / Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed (you can chop these by hand or pulse them a few times in a food processor). Slice bell peppers for the salad. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Chard - Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Chicken - Chop into 1" (2.5 cm) cubes. Season with salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Drain and rinse beans.
- Heat a Dutch oven or sauce pan over medium heat. Add oil and chicken and saute until chicken is cooked through, ~5 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and return pan to the heat. If the pan is very dry, add a splash of cooking oil and then then onions, carrots, chard stems (reserve the leaves), garlic and vinegar with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add in stock, beans, chard leaves and bay leaves and bring to a simmer. Simmer until chard leaves are wilted, 2 to 3 minutes
- Add chicken and simmer for 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine vinegar, mustard, maple syrup and oil. Season with some salt and pepper. Toss greens and bell peppers with dressing.
- Serve stew with salad on the side and enjoy!
Love it0 Helpful
Next time we plan to add more beans and fewer peas. Needs more stock. We couldn't find chard, so we used collard greens instead. Good, but definitely would have been better with chard.0 Helpful
Made it a second time but had with dumplings.0 Helpful
Really yummy. The biscuits were really herby and nice. Loved it!!0 Helpful
I liked how quickly this stew came together. I have made other stew recipes that I prefer to this one but all of them have taken significantly more time to prepare. This recipe is perfect for a cold day where you're short on time but craving a warm, hearty meal.0 Helpful
Left out the green onions and it still was tasty. Added a little extra stock.0 Helpful