with herb biscuits
Chicken stew with biscuits is a classic comfort food, but our version has a lighter touch by skipping heavy cream without sacrificing any flavor. Finish the dish in the oven with parmesan and herb drop biscuits on top.
- Onions, medium - 1/2 , chopped
- Carrots - 1/2 lb , chopped
- Garlic - 2 cloves , chopped
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, white and green parts separate
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (sub thighs) - 1 lb , 1" (2.5 cm) cubes
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Flour, all-purpose or whole wheat - 1/4 cup
- Stock, chicken or vegetable - 2 1/2 cups
- Bay leaves (opt) - 2
- Peas, frozen - 1 1/2 cups
- Cheese, parmesan (opt) - 1/3 cup , shredded
- Eggs - 1
- Flour, all-purpose or whole wheat - 1 cup
- Baking powder - 2 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Butter - 3 Tbsp , chilled
- Milk - 1/3 cup
- Onions / Carrots / Garlic - Prep as directed (you can chop these by hand or pulse them a few times in a food processor). (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Green onions / Cheese- Prep as directed. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Chicken - Chop into 1" (2.5 cm) cubes. Season with salt and pepper and tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Whisk eggs.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 425F / 218C degrees.
- Heat a Dutch oven or skillet over medium heat. Add oil and chicken and saute just until the outside of the chicken is cooked (it will finish in the oven), ~3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and return pan to the heat. If the pan is very dry, add a splash of cooking oil. To the hot pan add onions, carrots, white parts of green onions (reserve the green parts) and garlic with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour (just the portion for the stew) in the pan and cook, stirring, until no white spots of flour remain (don't worry if some flour sticks to the bottom of the pan).
- Add in stock, bay leaves and peas and bring to a simmer, scraping up any bits of flour that are stuck to the bottom of the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in chicken and reduce heat to low.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, thyme and salt. Add butter, and using your hands (or a pastry cutter) break it into pieces in the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse cornmeal. Stir in milk, egg, green parts of green onions and parmesan just until combined. Drop biscuits onto the top of stew, making 1 large or 2 small biscuits per person.
- Bake stew, uncovered, until the biscuits are golden on top and cooked through, 20-25 minutes.
- Serve stew with biscuits on top of each portion and enjoy!