citrus, jicama and avocado salad
For a "blackened" look and flavor, we coat tofu in a quick spice rub and sear it at high heat. The salad is a great complement, providing tart citrus flavor and contrasting textures from crisp jicama and creamy avocados.
- Tofu, extra firm (vacuum packed preferable) - 16 oz , 1/2" (1.25 cm) thick slices
- Paprika (any variety) - 2 tsp
- Black pepper - 3/4 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
Citrus, Jicama and Avocado Salad:
- Shallots - 1/2 clove , diced
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 4 Tbsp
- Jicama (sub green apple) - 1/2 root , matchsticks
- Citrus fruit (grapefruit and oranges) - 2 , segments
- Avocados - 2 , sliced
- Pumpkin seeds (pepita) - 1/4 cup
- Butter lettuce (sub Boston leaf or Romaine) - 5 oz
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Then cut into 1" (2.5 cm) slices. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Make dressing - Dice shallots. Combine with vinegar, mustard and honey. Add oil while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Jicama - Peel and julienne into matchsticks. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Citrus fruit / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Season tofu - Combine paprika, black pepper, thyme, salt and garlic powder and rub over both sides of tofu slices.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat a skillet or non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add oil. Once oil is hot, sear tofu until crisp and blackened, 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Toss together jicama, citrus fruit, avocados, pepitas and greens. Drizzle with dressing.
- Serve seared tofu slices with salad on the side. Enjoy!