Blackened Salmoncitrus, jicama and avocado salad
- Salmon - 1 lb
- Paprika (any variety) - 2 tsp
- Black pepper - 3/4 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Shallots - 1/2 clove, diced
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 4 Tbsp
- Jicama (sub green apple) - 1/2 root, matchsticks
- Citrus fruit (grapefruit and oranges) - 2, segments
- Avocados - 2, sliced
- Pumpkin seeds (pepita) - 1/4 cup
- Butter lettuce (sub Boston leaf or Romaine) - 5 oz
- Salmon - Rinse and dry fish. Combine paprika, black pepper, thyme, salt and garlic powder and rub over salmon (if your salmon is skin-on, just rub spices on the non-skin side).
- Make dressing - Dice shallots. Combine with vinegar, mustard and honey. Add oil while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Jicama - Peel and julienne into matchsticks. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Citrus fruit / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet or non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add butter. Once butter melts, sear salmon until it flakes easily and is blackened on the outside, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Squeeze lime juice over top.
- Toss together jicama, citrus fruit, avocados, pepitas and greens. Drizzle with dressing.
- Serve salmon with salad on the side. Enjoy!
This meal has 53 reviews
We absolutely loved this! Wouldn't change a thing and will definitely make again. Our spice rub was used with real garlic instead of powder since that's what I had and I'll do that again. It seemed to burn but it kinda wasn't. The pepper I used was fresh and had that good blackened flavor.
I substituted spinach for the butter lettuce and apples for the jicama. I am learning how to substitute a lot with these recipes to use what I have in my kitchen already. The dressing was very good and the salad salmon was excellent.
This meal was delicious. I had to use frozen salmon, hmm. not the best. I will use fresh salmon next time. The combination of spices was great, the meal was simple enough very tasty.
Turns out, I am simply incapable of pan cooking salmon on my depressing electric stove, and it befouled our poorly ventilated apt to boot. Never again, Cooksmarts... Never again. This is the last time you've tempted me with pan cooked fish! The jicama salad was great though, we are always fans of that veg. We used satsumas for the citrus. Will def make the salad again.
My family loved it
It was very good! Needed a bit more spice/heat for the seasoning on the salmon. Will broil the salmon next time. The salad was delicious, I used the green apple instead of the jicama.