citrus, jicama and avocado salad
- Salmon - 1 lb
- Paprika (any variety) - 2 tsp
- Black pepper - 3/4 tsp
- Thyme, dried - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
Citrus, Jicama and Avocado Salad:
- Shallots - 1/2 clove , diced
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 4 Tbsp
- Jicama (sub green apple) - 1/2 root , matchsticks
- Citrus fruit (grapefruit and oranges) - 2 , segments
- Avocados - 2 , sliced
- Pumpkin seeds (pepita) - 1/4 cup
- Butter lettuce (sub Boston leaf or Romaine) - 5 oz
- Salmon - Rinse and dry fish. Combine paprika, black pepper, thyme, salt and garlic powder and rub over salmon (if your salmon is skin-on, just rub spices on the non-skin side).
- Make dressing - Dice shallots. Combine with vinegar, mustard and honey. Add oil while whisking. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Jicama - Peel and julienne into matchsticks. (Can be done up to 2 days ahead)
- Citrus fruit / Avocados - Prep as directed.
- Heat a skillet or non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add butter. Once butter melts, sear salmon until it flakes easily and is blackened on the outside, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Squeeze lime juice over top.
- Toss together jicama, citrus fruit, avocados, pepitas and greens. Drizzle with dressing.
- Serve salmon with salad on the side. Enjoy!