Fig & Brie Melt
with pear & walnut salad
This meal features two delicious fall fruits - figs and pears. If you've never eaten fresh figs, you're going to fall in love. Their season is short so hopefully you can find them. If not, we offer a substitution using apples and jam or dried figs.
Fig & Brie Melt:
- Figs (sub dried figs OR 1 apple + 3 Tbsp jam / 8 figs) - 16 , halved
- Brie (sub another melty cheese) - 12 oz , sliced
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Sandwich bread - 8 slices
Mixed Greens Salad with Pears & Walnuts:
- Shallots - 1/2 bulb , sliced
- Pears - 1 , sliced
- Dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Walnuts, crushed or halves - 2 oz
- Shallots / Figs / Brie - Slice figs in half and slice brie into 1/4” slices.
- Pears - Slice.
- Make vinaigrette - If you didn’t make extra from Tuesday’s salad, whisk together Dijon, red wine vinegar, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Butter one side of each piece of bread with about 1/2 Tbsp (7 g) of butter each. Lay out bread buttered-side down. Layer with cheese, figs (or apples and jam), cheese and top with bread, buttered-side up. Continue until all sandwiches are made.
- Heat up a griddle or a skillet over medium heat. Place sandwiches onto heated surface (as many as can fit) and press down throughout the grilling process with a spatula. Flip once the first side is golden, ~ 3 to 4 minutes.
- When grilled cheeses are all done, toss vinaigrette with shallots, pears, spinach, and walnuts. Enjoy sandwiches with salad!