Fig & Brie Melt
with pear & walnut salad
- Figs (sub dried figs OR 1 apple + 3 Tbsp jam / 8 figs) - 16, halved
- Brie (sub another melty cheese) - 12 oz, sliced
- Butter - 4 Tbsp
- Gluten-free sandwich bread - 8 slices
- Shallots - 1/2 bulb, sliced
- Pears - 1, sliced
- Dijon mustard - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, red wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cooking oil - 3 Tbsp
- Baby spinach - 4 oz
- Walnuts, crushed or halves - 2 oz
- Shallots / Figs / Brie - Slice figs in half and slice brie into 1/4” slices.
- Pears - Slice.
- Make vinaigrette - If you didn’t make extra from Tuesday’s salad, whisk together Dijon, red wine vinegar, and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Butter one side of each piece of bread with about 1/2 Tbsp (7 g) of butter each. Lay out bread buttered-side down. Layer with cheese, figs (or apples and jam), cheese and top with bread, buttered-side up. Continue until all sandwiches are made.
- Heat up a griddle or a skillet over medium heat. Place sandwiches onto heated surface (as many as can fit) and press down throughout the grilling process with a spatula. Flip once the first side is golden, ~ 3 to 4 minutes.
- When grilled cheeses are all done, toss vinaigrette with shallots, pears, spinach, and walnuts. Enjoy sandwiches with salad!
I had to use dried figs and I didn't care for the sandwich because of that. Next time I will use fig jam. I also think the sandwich could use more fig and a tiny bit less brie. Also a video on how to cut the brie would be nice because that was so hard to cut into slices! The salad was perfect, made a second helping of it because it was so good.0 Helpful
Salad was perfect, but next time I will use fig jam instead of dried figs and add apple slices.0 Helpful
The salad dressing was too tart but sandwich was great- we used fig jam because we couldn't find figs and also added apple slices.0 Helpful
For the sandwiches, we used thinly sliced English Muffin bread and spread it with fig preserves, added a little bit of sliced dried figs and then the brie and grilled it on the panini press and it was fab. Really fab! But the real winner of this was the side salad. The dressing was PERFECT with the fruits. We used a mix of baby greens with more baby spinach and because the pear I had was a bit bland I added some more of the sliced dried figs and then subbed roasted pistachios for the walnuts due to allergies. The bit of bite from the shallots and mustard was a perfect compliment to the sweetness of the fig, pear and greens. So good! Definitely a keeper recipe!0 Helpful
We had to use apples instead of the figs, but it was delicious.0 Helpful
Simple but so yummy. An old grilled cheese trick- a thin spread of mayo instead of butter makes bread crisp perfectly.0 Helpful