Slow Cooker Two-Bean Enchilada Soup
Smarts: This meal can easily be doubled for freezing so you can have something convenient on hand for those busy times.
- Black beans, dried - 4 oz
- Kidney beans, dried - 4 oz
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, diced
- Chipotle peppers (find canned in ethnic aisle, usually in adobo sauce) - 1, chopped finely
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Cumin - 1 Tbsp
- Coriander - 1 Tbsp
- Adobo sauce (usually found with canned chipotles - sub smoked paprika) - 2 tsp
- Green chiles - 2 oz
- Vegetable broth (sub water) - 6 cups
- Corn kernels, frozen or fresh - 1 cup
- Avocado - 1, sliced or cubed
- Sour cream - 4 Tbsp
- Cheese, Mexican blend (opt) - 2 oz, grated
- Tortilla chips - for serving
- Beans - Rinse beans. For kidney beans, rinse and then boil them in water for a full 10 minutes to remove phytohaemagglutinin, which can result in gastric issues.
- Garlic / Onions / Chipotle peppers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Diced tomatoes - Drain.
- Slow cook - Place dried beans, cumin, coriander, garlic, onions, chipotles, Adobo sauce, diced tomatoes, green chiles, and vegetable broth (or water) into slow cooker. Slow cook for 7 to 8 hours on low.
- Add corn to the slow cooker and cook on high for another 30 minutes.
- Chop avocado.
- Season soup to taste with salt, pepper, spices, and / or hot sauce. Enjoy soup topped with avocado, sour cream, cheese (if using), and tortilla chips.
I liked it but it seemed a little bland? Maybe we didn't use quite enough of my already-blended chipotles in adobo. I guessed that 1 pepper plus 2 teaspoons of sauce would be about a tablespoon blended, but maybe should have used more. It was really good though!0 Helpful
Too spicy for me0 Helpful
Really good! I left out the green chilis. -R0 Helpful
My family loved this meal! I'm not a big fan of spicey so I was very hesitant, but the flavors were great and nothing I couldn't handle.0 Helpful
Made a huge pot to feed us during the week and freeze for later. Didn't have enough chicken so supplemented with canned chicken from Costco. Subbed chipotles and adobo with chipotle salsa from trader joes. Only funny thing was that recipe seemed to call for too much liquid - 8 cups for 8 servings. It was swimming so I threw in a cup of jasmine rice.0 Helpful
Made this over the weekend and it came out great. I omitted the green chilies as my husband doesn't do to well with spicy/hot foods. We are planning to the leftovers and make enchiladas.0 Helpful