Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soupwith chipotles
Who doesn't love enchilada flavors? In this version, we deconstruct classic enchilada ingredients and turn it into a warm and hearty slow cooker soup.
Smarts: This meal can easily be doubled for freezing so you can have something convenient on hand for those busy times.
- Chicken breast, bone-in & skinless - 1 breast
- Garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- Onions - 1, diced
- Chipotle peppers (find canned in ethnic aisle, usually in adobo sauce) - 1, chopped finely
- Diced tomatoes (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Cumin - 1 Tbsp
- Coriander - 1 Tbsp
- Adobo sauce (usually found with canned chipotles - sub smoked paprika) - 2 tsp
- Green chiles - 2 oz
- Chicken stock (sub water) - 4 cups
- Black beans (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Corn kernels, frozen or fresh - 1 cup
- Avocado - 1, sliced or cubed
- Sour cream - 4 Tbsp
- Cheese, Mexican blend (opt) - 2 oz, grated
- Tortilla chips - for serving
- Chicken - Season with some salt and pepper and then tenderize with a fork. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Garlic / Onions / Chipotle peppers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Diced tomatoes - Drain.
- Slow cook - Place chicken, cumin, coriander, garlic, onions, chipotles, Adobo sauce, diced tomatoes, green chiles, and chicken stock (or water) into slow cooker. Slow cook for 7 to 8 hours on low.
- Use a fork and knife to shred chicken right in the slow cooker. Remove bones from the soup.
- Open and drain black beans. Add corn and black beans to the slow cooker and cook high for another 30 minutes.
- Chop avocado.
- Season soup to taste with salt, pepper, spices, and / or hot sauce. Enjoy soup topped with avocado, sour cream, cheese (if using), and tortilla chips.
This meal has 34 reviews
I liked it but it seemed a little bland? Maybe we didn't use quite enough of my already-blended chipotles in adobo. I guessed that 1 pepper plus 2 teaspoons of sauce would be about a tablespoon blended, but maybe should have used more. It was really good though!
Too spicy for me
Really good! I left out the green chilis. -R
My family loved this meal! I'm not a big fan of spicey so I was very hesitant, but the flavors were great and nothing I couldn't handle.
Made a huge pot to feed us during the week and freeze for later. Didn't have enough chicken so supplemented with canned chicken from Costco. Subbed chipotles and adobo with chipotle salsa from trader joes. Only funny thing was that recipe seemed to call for too much liquid - 8 cups for 8 servings. It was swimming so I threw in a cup of jasmine rice.
Made this over the weekend and it came out great. I omitted the green chilies as my husband doesn't do to well with spicy/hot foods. We are planning to the leftovers and make enchiladas.