Twice-Baked Potatoes with Sausage and Cheese
with balsamic brussels sprouts
Twice-baked potatoes go from side dish to main event with the addition of ground sausage and cheddar. Finish the potatoes in the oven alongside balsamic brussels sprouts for an easy one-pan dinner.
- Potatoes, russet (plan on 1 small or 1/2 large per serving) - 2 lbs
- Shallots - 1/2 bulb , diced
- Cheese, sharp cheddar - 4 oz , grated
- Parsley, fresh, any variety (opt) - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Yogurt, Greek or plain - 1/4 cup
- Pork breakfast sausage, ground - 1/3 lb
Balsamic Brussels Sprouts:
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb , halved
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Foil - for cooking
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
- Potatoes - Prick with a knife. Microwave, covered with a damp paper towel, on high power until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Shallots / Brussels sprouts - Prep as directed (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cheese / Parsley - Prep as directed (Can be done 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C degrees.
- Brush a sheet pan with some cooking oil and spread brussels sprouts on the top. Cover tightly with foil and steam in the oven for 10 minutes. (Watch this video on roasting vegetables at high temps.)
- While the sprouts are steaming, halve potatoes and scoop out centers. In a large mixing bowl mash potato filling with yogurt and season with salt and pepper. Add the shallots, sausage, cheese and parsley and mix well. Spoon filling into the potato halves.
- Reduce oven to 425F / 218C degrees. Uncover brussels sprouts and move them to one half of the pan. Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and season with some salt and pepper. Put filled potatoes on the other half of the pan.
- Return pan to the oven and bake until sausage is cooked through and brussels sprouts are dark golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Squeeze lemon juice over brussels sprouts.
- Serve potatoes with roasted brussels sprouts on the side and enjoy!