Twice-Baked Potatoes with Sausage and Cheese
with balsamic brussels sprouts
Twice-baked potatoes go from side dish to main event with the addition of ground sausage and cheddar. Finish the potatoes in the oven alongside balsamic brussels sprouts for an easy one-pan dinner.
- Potatoes, russet (plan on 1 small or 1/2 large per serving) - 2 lbs
- Shallots - 1/2 bulb, diced
- Cheese, sharp cheddar - 4 oz, grated
- Parsley, fresh, any variety (opt) - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Yogurt, Greek or plain - 1/4 cup
- Pork breakfast sausage, ground - 1/3 lb
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb, halved
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Foil - for cooking
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C degrees.
- Brush a sheet pan with some cooking oil and spread brussels sprouts on the top. Cover tightly with foil and steam in the oven for 10 minutes. (Watch this video on roasting vegetables at high temps.)
- While the sprouts are steaming, halve potatoes and scoop out centers. In a large mixing bowl mash potato filling with yogurt and season with salt and pepper. Add the shallots, sausage, cheese and parsley and mix well. Spoon filling into the potato halves.
- Reduce oven to 425F / 218C degrees. Uncover brussels sprouts and move them to one half of the pan. Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and season with some salt and pepper. Put filled potatoes on the other half of the pan.
- Return pan to the oven and bake until sausage is cooked through and brussels sprouts are dark golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Squeeze lemon juice over brussels sprouts.
- Serve potatoes with roasted brussels sprouts on the side and enjoy!
This was just okay. After reading others reviews, I opted to just smash the baked potato and add the rest of the ingredients then bake it like a casserole. Doing it that way it was not as much work as the scooping out and then putting back in, so considering it was easy I would probably make it again in a pinch.0 Helpful
Delicious! I used cold leftover baked potatoes and found it much easier to scoop them.0 Helpful
The potatoes were essentially impossible to scoop properly. They were relatively tasty, but not worth the hassle. Roasted brussels sprouts are always good, though.0 Helpful
Couldn't keep the potato skins intact so mashed everything together and turned it into a casserole. Turned out very tasty.0 Helpful
My potato skins split when I tried to scoop them. So I incorporated the skins into my mash with everything else, and put it all into cupcake tins for the second bake. Really loved the balsamic roasted brussels sprouts!0 Helpful
I liked everything about this meal but it felt like I was eating 2 sides as opposed to a main meal. I think these twice bakes potatoes would make a wonderful side or even great for a breakfast0 Helpful