Twice-Baked Potatoes with Sausage and Cheese
with balsamic brussels sprouts
- Potatoes, russet (plan on 1 small or 1/2 large per serving) - 2 lbs
- Shallots - 1/2 bulb , diced
- Cheese, sharp cheddar - 4 oz , grated
- Parsley, fresh, any variety (opt) - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Yogurt, Greek or plain - 1/4 cup
- Pork breakfast sausage, ground - 1/3 lb
Balsamic Brussels Sprouts:
- Brussels sprouts - 1 lb , halved
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Foil - for cooking
- Vinegar, balsamic - 2 tsp
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
- Heat oven to 500F / 260C degrees.
- Brush a sheet pan with some cooking oil and spread brussels sprouts on the top. Cover tightly with foil and steam in the oven for 10 minutes. (Watch this video on roasting vegetables at high temps.)
- While the sprouts are steaming, halve potatoes and scoop out centers. In a large mixing bowl mash potato filling with yogurt and season with salt and pepper. Add the shallots, sausage, cheese and parsley and mix well. Spoon filling into the potato halves.
- Reduce oven to 425F / 218C degrees. Uncover brussels sprouts and move them to one half of the pan. Drizzle with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and season with some salt and pepper. Put filled potatoes on the other half of the pan.
- Return pan to the oven and bake until sausage is cooked through and brussels sprouts are dark golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Squeeze lemon juice over brussels sprouts.
- Serve potatoes with roasted brussels sprouts on the side and enjoy!