Yogurt-Marinated Greek Chicken
with farro tabbouleh / tzatziki
The yogurt and spices that marinate this chicken keep it moist and flavorful during cooking. Classic sides like fresh tabbouleh, tzatziki yogurt sauce and warm flatbreads round out the meal.
Yogurt-Marinated Greek Chicken:
- Garlic - 2 cloves
- Yogurt, Greek or plain - 1/2 cup
- Oregano, dried - 1/4 tsp
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (sub thighs) - 1 lb , halved
- Flatbreads, pita, or naan - 4 rounds
- Cucumbers, medium - 1/2 , grated
- Dill, fresh - 1/2 tsp , chopped
- Lemons - 1/2 , zest of
- Yogurt, Greek or plain - 3/4 cup
- Garlic salt - 1/2 tsp
- Cucumbers, medium - 1/2 , chopped
- Tomatoes, large - 1 , chopped
- Onions, red - 1/4 , chopped
- Parsley, fresh, any variety (sub any crisp lettuce) - 1 cup , chopped
- Leftover farro (from Tues) - 1 cup
- Oil, olive - 1 Tbsp
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
- Make yogurt marinade - Chop garlic. Combine with yogurt (just the portion for the chicken), oregano and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Marinate chicken - Halve chicken breasts, and place into a baking dish. Cover with marinade and tenderize with a fork. Marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Tzatziki - Grate cucumbers (just the portion for the tzatziki). Chop dill. Zest lemons. Combine with yogurt and garlic salt. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tabbouleh - Cucumbers (the portion for the tabbouleh) / Tomatoes / Onions / Parsley - Prep as directed and combine with leftover farro, olive oil and lemon juice. Season with some salt and pepper. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- If making chicken on the grill: Preheat grill to 500F (260C) degrees, keeping one part on higher heat and another part on lower heat. Clean grates and brush with some oil. Remove chicken breast halves from marinade and discard marinade. Sear chicken on each side for ~3 minutes (keeping cover closed). Move to lower heat and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes (or until chicken is cooked through) with cover closed. Warm flatbreads in the grill during the last 2 to 3 minutes.
- If making chicken on the stovetop: Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Remove chicken breast halves from marinade and discard marinade. Brush pan with some oil and then add chicken to hot grill pan and sear until cooked through, ~3 minutes on both sides. Warm flatbreads according to package instructions.
- Slice chicken and serve with tzatziki, tabbouleh and flatbreads on the side. Enjoy!