Teriyaki Mushrooms and Tofuwith broccolini and rice
The sweet and salty flavors of teriyaki sauce make a great topping for this vegetarian mix of mushrooms, tofu and chopped broccolini. Use a wok to cook this dish in fast, stir-fry style.
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Water - 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp
- Soy sauce, low-sodium - 1/4 cup
- Sugar, light brown - 3 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 3 tsp
- Rice, white or brown (enough for 2 nights) - 2 cups
- Broccolini (sub broccoli) - 2 bunches, cut into 1" (2.5 cm) pieces
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz, sliced
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separated
- Tofu, extra-firm (vacuum-packed preferable) - 16 oz, 1" (2.5 cm) cubes
- Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp + 1 Tbsp
- Teriyaki sauce (ingredients listed separately) - 1 cup
- Rice - This makes enough for two nights. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccolini / Mushrooms / Ginger / Garlic / Green onions - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Tofu - If tofu is packaged in water, press out liquid first. Then slice into 1" (2.5 cm) cubes. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add ginger, garlic, water, soy sauce and sugar and heat until it begins to simmer, ~5 minutes. Stir in sauce portion of the cornstarch and continue cooking until sauce thickens slightly.
- While sauce simmers, toss tofu with stir-fry portion of cornstarch.
- Heat a wok over medium-high heat. Add first part of cooking oil and then tofu to heated oil. Saute until golden and crispy on the outside, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Return wok to heat and add second part of cooking oil. Add broccolini with a sprinkle of salt. Saute until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and white parts of green onions (reserve green parts) and saute until mushrooms are golden and liquid has evaporated, 3 to 4 minutes. Add teriyaki sauce and cook just until it begins to simmer. Remove from heat and stir in tofu.
- If you made rice ahead, reheat in the microwave (remember to save half for Wednesday).
- Enjoy teriyaki mushrooms, broccolini and tofu over rice with green parts of green onions sprinkled over top.
Meatballs were kind of boring, so I added some seasoning to the pork mix. They were moist and yummy with the sauce!0 Helpful
I can't get used to cauli rice so I often just make meatballs + a boatload of roasted broccoli and mushrooms. I love it, husband loves it, everybody wins!0 Helpful
used turkey, frozen broccoli0 Helpful
New fave! Was really easy too:)0 Helpful
I really liked this recipe! I revised it some: 1. Substituted ground turkey for ground pork. 2. Made and cooked meatballs the night before. 3. While cooking rice, made teriyaki sauce and added cold turkey meatballs to sauce as it came to temperature. Added chopped broccolini on top of meatballs in pan and covered with lid to cook.0 Helpful