broccolini / mushrooms / cauliflower rice
The sweet and salty flavors of teriyaki sauce are a great complement to savory pork meatballs. Get maximum use out of the oven by roasting meatballs and a broccolini and mushroom side dish together on the same pan.
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp , grated
- Garlic - 1 clove , chopped
- Water - 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp
- Bragg's / coconut aminos - 1/4 cup
- Honey - 2 Tbsp
- Arrowroot powder - 3 tsp
Teriyaki Meatballs with Mushrooms and Broccolini:
- Broccolini (sub broccoli) - 2 bunches , ends trimmed
- Mushrooms, any button - 8 oz
- Green onions - 2 stalks , chopped, green and white parts separated
- Pork, ground - 1 lb
- Egg - 1
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 2 Tbsp
- Teriyaki sauce (ingredients listed separately) - 1 cup
- Lemons - 1/2 , juice of
- Cauliflower, small - 1 head , florets chopped
- Butter - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Cauliflower rice - Pulse florets in a food processor until broken up into ‘rice’-sized bits. Cook rice in one of two ways: 1) Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and then fold in butter. Season with salt and pepper; or 2) Heat a pan over medium-high heat and add butter. Saute cauliflower in heated butter for ~5 minutes, until tender but still crunchy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Watch this video for the full how-to on cauliflower rice. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Broccolini / Mushrooms / Ginger / Garlic / Green onions - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make meatballs - Mix the white parts of the green onions (reserve the green parts), ground pork, egg, salt and black pepper. Form into 1” / 2.5cm wide meatballs. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 375F / 190C degrees.
- Brush sheet pan with some oil and spread meatballs out on half the sheet pan. Toss broccolini and mushrooms in oil, season with some salt and pepper, and spread on the other half of the sheet pan. Bake until meatballs are cooked through and broccolini is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While meatballs are cooking, heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add ginger, garlic, water, aminos and honey and heat until it begins to simmer, ~3 minutes. Whisk arrowroot powder with 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) of water and add to sauce. Continue cooking until sauce thickens slightly. When meatballs are cooked, stir into sauce.
- Squeeze lemon juice over mushrooms and broccolini.
- Serve teriyaki meatballs over cauliflower rice with green parts of green onions on top. Enjoy with mushrooms and broccolini on the side.