with broccolini and rice
- Ginger, fresh - 1 tsp, grated
- Garlic - 1 clove, chopped
- Water - 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp
- Tamari - 1/4 cup
- Sugar, light brown - 3 Tbsp
- Cornstarch - 3 tsp
- Rice, white or brown (enough for 2 nights) - 2 cups
- Broccolini (sub broccoli) - 2 bunches, ends trimmed
- Green onions - 2 stalks, chopped, green and white parts separated
- Pork, ground - 1 lb
- Egg - 1
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Teriyaki sauce (ingredients listed separately) - 1 cup
- Lemons - 1/2, juice of
- Rice - This makes enough for two nights. For white rice, rinse until clear. Fill a saucepan or Dutch oven (or rice cooker) with rice, water (use 2:1 ratio for water to rice), and some salt. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once water boils, stir, lower heat to a low-medium, and cover. Check white rice after ~20 min; brown at ~45 min. Rice is done when it's absorbed all the water. If it's not done, leave the cover on until all water has been absorbed. Take cover off to release steam and fluff with a wooden spoon after 5 minutes. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Broccolini / Ginger / Garlic / Green onions - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make meatballs - Mix the white parts of the green onions (reserve the green parts), ground pork, egg, salt and black pepper. Form into 1” / 2.5cm wide meatballs. (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 375F / 190C degrees.
- Brush sheet pan with some oil and spread meatballs out on half the sheet pan. Toss broccolini in oil, season with some salt and pepper, and spread on the other half of the sheet pan. Bake until meatballs are cooked through and broccolini is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While meatballs are cooking, heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat. Add ginger, garlic, water, tamari and sugar and heat until it begins to simmer, ~3 minutes. Whisk cornstarch with 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) of water and add to sauce. Continue cooking until sauce thickens slightly. When meatballs are cooked, stir into sauce.
- If you made rice ahead, reheat in the microwave (remember to save half for Wednesday).
- Squeeze lemon juice over broccolini.
- Serve teriyaki meatballs over rice with green parts of green onions on top. Enjoy with broccolini on the side.
Meatballs were kind of boring, so I added some seasoning to the pork mix. They were moist and yummy with the sauce!0 Helpful
I can't get used to cauli rice so I often just make meatballs + a boatload of roasted broccoli and mushrooms. I love it, husband loves it, everybody wins!0 Helpful
used turkey, frozen broccoli0 Helpful
New fave! Was really easy too:)0 Helpful
I really liked this recipe! I revised it some: 1. Substituted ground turkey for ground pork. 2. Made and cooked meatballs the night before. 3. While cooking rice, made teriyaki sauce and added cold turkey meatballs to sauce as it came to temperature. Added chopped broccolini on top of meatballs in pan and covered with lid to cook.0 Helpful