Chicken Tortilla Soup
with tortilla strips / avocado / sour cream
- Tortillas, flour and taco-sized (sub corn) - 2
- Black beans (1 can = 14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can, drained and rinsed
- Avocados - 1, chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Corn, frozen - 1 cup
- Tomato juice (look for this in the juice aisle) - 3 cups
- Stock, chicken or vegetable - 2 cups
- Leftover chicken and peppers (from Tues) - ~3 cups
- Cilantro, fresh - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Sour cream (sub plain yogurt) - 1/4 cup
- Heat oven to 400F (204C) degrees.
- Brush a sheet pan with some cooking oil. Scatter tortilla strips over the top and bake, shaking the pan halfway through, until golden brown and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. (Watch closely at the end to be sure they don’t burn.)
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add cooking oil and corn and saute until corn is heated through. Add beans, tomato juice, stock and leftover chicken and peppers. Bring to a simmer and cook until all ingredients are hot, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve soup topped with avocado, cilantro leaves, sour cream and crisp tortilla strips. Enjoy!
This is fantastic. It's so easy to put together, even if this is something you pcijed from the archives like I did and then you needed to find the fajita recipe to find out how to make the chicken. I'll make this again for sure.0 Helpful
Added red pepper flakes! Delish!0 Helpful
Overall very tasty! Next time I would sprinkle a little salt on the tortillas.0 Helpful
Not my favorite version of chicken tortilla soup - but we enjoyed it.0 Helpful
Absolutely loved this recipe! Going to save this one for sure!0 Helpful
Great soup, but what were the "leftover beans from Tuesday?" Please write what recipe it refers back to (the date) so I know whether the beans were seasoned or not.0 Helpful