Chicken Tortilla Soup
with tortilla strips / avocado / sour cream
Using leftover chicken and peppers from earlier in the week makes this southwestern-inspired soup a breeze to prepare. Top it with quick oven-baked tortilla strips, avocado and sour cream.
Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- Tortillas, flour and taco-sized (sub corn) - 2
- Beans, black (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can , drained and rinsed
- Avocados - 1 , chopped
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Corn, frozen - 1 cup
- Tomato juice (look for this in the juice aisle) - 3 cups
- Stock, chicken or vegetable - 2 cups
- Leftover chicken and peppers (from Tues) - ~3 cups
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Sour cream (sub plain yogurt) - 1/4 cup
- Heat oven to 400F (204C) degrees.
- Brush a sheet pan with some cooking oil. Scatter tortilla strips over the top and bake, shaking the pan halfway through, until golden brown and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. (Watch closely at the end to be sure they don’t burn.)
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add cooking oil and corn and saute until corn is heated through. Add beans, tomato juice, stock and leftover chicken and peppers. Bring to a simmer and cook until all ingredients are hot, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve soup topped with avocado, cilantro leaves, sour cream and crisp tortilla strips. Enjoy!