Slow-Cooker Black Bean and Pepper Burritos
with guacamole / sour cream / lettuce
For these flavorful vegetarian burritos, we start with dried black beans, lots of aromatics and let the slow-cooker do all the work to get them nice and tender. Top the burritos with guacamole, sour cream and crisp lettuce for an easy weeknight dinner the whole family will love.
Slow-Cooker Black Bean and Pepper Burritos:
- Black beans, dried (enough for 2 nights) - 1 lb
- Onions, medium - 1 , sliced
- Bell peppers, any color - 3 , sliced
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Tomatoes, diced and fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Chili powder - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Water - 4 cups
- Lettuce, any crisp variety like Romaine or Boston leaf - 1 head , chopped
- Tortillas, flour and taco-sized (sub corn) - 8
- Sour cream (sub plain yogurt) - 1/4 cup
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Shallots - 1/4 bulb , minced
- Avocados - 2
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
- Beans - If possible, soak beans in water for a few hours or overnight. This is helpful in softening the beans, but not necessary if you don't have time. (Should be done 1 day ahead)
- Onion / Bell peppers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cilantro / Shallots / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Slow-cook beans - This makes enough for two nights. Rinse beans until water runs clean. Combine beans, water, tomatoes (including liquid), onions, peppers, garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and black pepper in the bowl of a slow cooker. Beans should be covered by at least 1" (2.5 cm) of liquid, so add additional water if needed. Slow-cook until beans are tender, on low for 6 to 8 hours (or high for 3 to 4 hours). Check beans every 30 minutes in the last couple hours of cooking as cook time will vary depending on how old beans are. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Chop lettuce.
- Make guacamole by mashing together avocado, cilantro, shallots and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and hot sauce.
- Remove lid from slow-cooker and use a slotted spoon to remove beans. Discard any extra liquid that remains in the bowl. Season beans with additional salt and pepper if needed. Reserve half the beans for Thursday.
- Warm tortillas according to package instructions.
- Serve tortillas topped with black beans, lettuce, guacamole and sour cream. Enjoy!