Slow-Cooker Southwestern Chicken and Peppers
with baked sweet potatoes and guacamole
While chicken and pepper fajitas on a sizzling platter are fun to enjoy at a restaurant, we love that you can get all those same great flavors at home letting the slow-cooker do the work. Serve these spiced chicken and peppers over baked sweet potatoes with guacamole.
- Onions, yellow - 1, sliced
- Bell peppers, any color - 3, sliced
- Garlic - 3 cloves, chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (enough for 2 nights) - 2 lbs
- Diced tomatoes, fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g can) - 1 can
- Chili powder - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin, ground - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Lettuce, any crisp variety like Romaine or Boston leaf - 1 head, chopped
- Potatoes, sweet - 4
- Cilantro, fresh - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Shallots - 1/4 bulb, minced
- Avocados - 2
- Limes - 1/2, juice of
- Onion / Bell peppers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cilantro / Shallots / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken breasts - Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Slow-cook chicken - This makes enough for two nights. Pour tomatoes (including liquid) into the bowl of a slow cooker. Top with onions, peppers, and then chicken. Sprinkle garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and black pepper evenly over the top. Slow-cook on low for 6 to 8 hours (or high for 3 to 4 hours). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Chop lettuce.
- Halve and score sweet potatoes and place into a microwave-safe container. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave for 5 to 7 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender. Use this video as a guide, but don’t scoop out the flesh.
- While potatoes are cooking, make guacamole by mashing together avocado, cilantro, shallots and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and hot sauce.
- Remove lid from slow-cooker and use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken and peppers to a cutting board. Roughly chop. Transfer half of the chicken and peppers to a serving platter to serve tonight. Reserve the other half the chicken and peppers and the liquid in the bowl of the slow-cooker for Thursday.
- Spoon chicken and peppers over baked sweet potato halves and enjoy topped with lettuce and guacamole. Enjoy!
this is the recipe used for Jillian graduation party. Served over rice.0 Helpful
Pretty good. Came out sort of watery. I imagine there are loads better ways to make fajitas. -R0 Helpful
I wanted the chicken to have a bit more spice & flavor.0 Helpful
Chicken was VERY bland0 Helpful
I have to admit I was sceptical about using the crock pot got fajitas, but I was very happy with the results! The chicken was perfect and the veggies were still crisp. I cooked it on high for three hours and took half of the chicken and pepper mix of getting with a slotted spoon as directed. There was not an issue with them being saucy as other people noted. I will definitely be making this recipe again!0 Helpful
The chicken was really watery and it needed more flavor.0 Helpful