Slow-Cooker Southwestern Chicken and Peppers
with baked sweet potatoes and guacamole
While chicken and pepper fajitas on a sizzling platter are fun to enjoy at a restaurant, we love that you can get all those same great flavors at home letting the slow-cooker do the work. Serve these spiced chicken and peppers over baked sweet potatoes with guacamole.
Slow-Cooker Southwestern Chicken and Peppers:
- Onions, yellow - 1 , sliced
- Bell peppers, any color - 3 , sliced
- Garlic - 3 cloves , chopped
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless (enough for 2 nights) - 2 lbs
- Tomatoes, diced and fire-roasted (14 oz / 397 g) - 1 can
- Chili powder - 1 Tbsp
- Cumin - 1 tsp
- Coriander, ground - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Lettuce, any crisp variety like Romaine or Boston leaf - 1 head , chopped
- Potatoes, sweet - 4
- Cilantro leaves - 2 Tbsp , chopped
- Shallots - 1/4 bulb , minced
- Avocados - 2
- Limes - 1/2 , juice of
- Onion / Bell peppers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 5 days ahead)
- Cilantro / Shallots / Garlic - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Chicken breasts - Tenderize with a fork. (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Slow-cook chicken - This makes enough for two nights. Pour tomatoes (including liquid) into the bowl of a slow cooker. Top with onions, peppers, and then chicken. Sprinkle garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander, salt and black pepper evenly over the top. Slow-cook on low for 6 to 8 hours (or high for 3 to 4 hours). (Can be done 1 day ahead)
- Chop lettuce.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Halve and score sweet potatoes and place into a microwave-safe container. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave for 5 to 7 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender. Use this video as a guide, but don’t scoop out the flesh.
- While potatoes are cooking, make guacamole by mashing together avocado, cilantro, shallots and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and hot sauce.
- Remove lid from slow-cooker and use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken and peppers to a cutting board. Roughly chop. Transfer half of the chicken and peppers to a serving platter to serve tonight. Reserve the other half the chicken and peppers and the liquid in the bowl of the slow-cooker for Thursday.
- Spoon chicken and peppers over baked sweet potato halves and enjoy topped with lettuce and guacamole. Enjoy!