Panko Baked Trout with Corn Relish
and zucchini fritters
A crust of panko breadcrumbs gives this baked trout a crisp exterior and tender interior. On the side, our pan-seared fritters make a kid (and adult)-friendly way to serve zucchini.
- Trout, filets (sub any white fish) - 4
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Mayonnaise - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 tsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Panko breadcrumbs - 3/4 cup
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Zucchini, medium - 2, shredded
- Cheese, ricotta - 1/2 cup
- Eggs - 1
- Flour, all-purpose or whole wheat - 1/3 cup
- Salt - 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/4 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 1 Tbsp
- Cilantro, fresh - 2 Tbsp, chopped
- Shallots - 1/4 bulb, minced
- Peppers, peppadew (find in olive or salad bar, sub red bell pepper) - 1/4 cup, chopped
- Corn, frozen - 1 cup
- Oil, olive - 2 tsp
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 tsp
- Trout - (If prepping right before cooking, preheat the oven as described in Make Step #1 before returning to this step.) Rinse and dry fish. Lightly salt and pepper.
- Cilantro / Shallots / Peppers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Make corn relish - Defrost corn in the microwave. Combine corn, cilantro, shallots, peppers, olive oil and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 3 days ahead)
- Zucchini - Shred with a box grater and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Squeeze in a clean dish towel or paper towel to remove as much liquid as possible (this is the key to crispy fritters). (Can be done up to 1 day ahead)
- Heat oven to 425F (218C) degrees.
- Make fritter batter by combining zucchini with ricotta, eggs, flour, salt and black pepper.
- Line sheet pan with foil and brush with some cooking oil. Add trout, skin-side down. Combine mayonnaise and mustard and spread evenly over fish. Melt butter in the microwave and combine with panko, salt and pepper. Press breading onto the top of the fish. Bake until fish flakes easily with a fork, 8 to 10 minutes.
- While fish is cooking, heat a saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Add cooking oil. When oil begins to shimmer, test the fritter batter by adding a heaping spoonful to the pan. If the fritter is mostly liquid and spreads out, add a bit more flour to the batter. Cook the remaining fritters in batches until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Enjoy trout with corn relish spooned over top and zucchini fritters on the side.
I don't think I got enough liquid out of my zucchini fritters, but still quite tasty!0 Helpful
This was amazing! We used fresh corn. Added to favorites.0 Helpful
Definitely would make zucchini fritters again. Same for corn salsa. Fish was just ok. Needed more flavor.0 Helpful
Tasty - but a bit involved for a weeknight meal would do it again on a weekend!0 Helpful
Breadcrumbs didn't crisp up for me. The fritters were really good though.0 Helpful
My 18 month old son shoveled it in his mouth. I didn't have ricotta so I used Greek yogurt and it worked really well0 Helpful