Pasta Frittata with Zucchini and Red Pepper
citrus almond side salad
In Italy, leftover pasta is baked with eggs for an inexpensive, satisfying frittata. Our version includes zucchini and red pepper for a low-maintenance vegetarian dinner that everyone in the family will love!
Citrus and Almond Side Salad:
- Shallots - 1/2 , diced
- Vinegar, red or white wine - 1 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard, Dijon - 1 1/2 tsp
- Honey - 1 tsp
- Oil, cooking - 3 Tbsp
- Oranges - 2 , segments
- Mixed greens, like romaine or butter lettuce mix - 3 oz
- Almonds, sliced - 2 Tbsp
Pasta Frittata with Zucchini and Red Pepper:
- Pasta, any shape - 6 oz
- Onions, yellow - 1/2 , chopped
- Zucchini, medium - 2 , ribbons
- Bell peppers, red - 1 , thinly sliced
- Eggs - 6
- Yogurt, plain or Greek (opt) - 1/4 cup
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- Butter - 1 Tbsp
- Cook pasta - Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Salt generously and add pasta. Cook until al dente, tender but not soggy. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Onions / Zucchini / Bell peppers - Prep as directed. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Eggs - Beat eggs with yogurt, salt and pepper.
- Make vinaigrette - If prepping right before cooking, skip to make steps and get frittata in the oven before coming back to this prep step. Dice shallots and whisk shallots with vinegar, Dijon mustard, honey and cooking oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be done up to 4 days ahead)
- Segment oranges.
Unlock this meal along with hundreds of smart meal plans and never stress about "What's for dinner?" againTry for free
- Heat oven to 425F (218C) degrees.
- Heat a 10.5” to 12” (26 cm to 30 cm) skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter and then onions, zucchini and bell peppers with a sprinkle of salt to melted heated butter. Saute until softened, ~3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add pasta, stirring to combine (if pasta was prepared in advance, you may need to use a couple forks to gently break it apart). Pour eggs over top. Stir until ingredients are all mixed through and then transfer to the oven. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until eggs are set and inserted knife comes out cleanly.
- When frittata is done, toss vinaigrette with greens, orange segments and almonds. Enjoy frittata slices with salad on the side!